Purpose / Objective
The overall objective and purpose of the Controller is to function as the hotel’s strategic financial business leader by developing and implementing hotel-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the hotel’s target guest and property Grand Performers. The position provides the financial expertise to enable the successful implementation of the hotel service strategy and initiatives while maximizing the return on investment to the owners by creation and execution of a business plan (annual budget) that is aligned with the hotel and company’s business strategy and focuses on the execution of financial and accounting activities and the delivery of desirable financial results.
Areas of Responsibility
Primary areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to the following:
- Directs preparation of budgets, reviews budget proposals, and prepares necessary supporting documentation and justification
- Works with the executive team to develop and maintain an accurate financial forecast
- Provides management with timely reviews of organization’s financial status and progress in its various programs and activities
- Partners with and advises the GM and other leaders on existing and evolving operating/financial issues
- Ensures that the P&L is accurate (ie, costs are properly matched to revenue; costs are recorded in the proper accounts)
- Analyzes financial data and market trends
- Ensures appropriate corrective actions are made based on internal/external audit results
- Reviews payroll records to ensure accuracy and proper coding in line with budgeted labor
- Oversees the Labor Productivity program to prevent unnecessary use of labor
- Implements a system of appropriate controls to manage business risks
- Ensures compliance with standard operating procedures
- Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes
- Ensures a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability
- Communicates financial concepts in a clear, persuasive, and professional manner that drives desired behaviors
- Provide Department Heads and Managers/Supervisors training on the various financial systems
- Facilitates financial and labor critique meetings with the management team
- Assists other departments with unresolved guest billing issues and issues involving cash, credit cards, invoices, etc
- Spot check inventory counts to ensure accuracy of inventory extension
- Research inventory discrepancies when costs deviate from budget and trends
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s)
To perform this role successfully, an individual must have experience achieving desired result(s) in their areas of responsibility. The requirements listed below are representative of observable behaviors and essential knowledge, skill, and abilities required of a successful incumbent.
- Strategic business leader - Works strategically to devise plans in alignment with organizational goals.
- Cultivates engagement - Builds loyalty to the company and not to themselves. Proven ability to host/facilitate effective meetings, motivate teams to produce results with tight timeframes while simultaneously managing several projects.
- Generates alignment - Ensures proper time and effort is spent to build high level performance and consistency throughout collection.
- Leads with courage - Provides a culture of accountability.
- Execution of plans - Utilizes our systems, tools and resources to accomplish results and achieve goals
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistics
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations
- Advanced Excel skills
- Knowledge of accounting software, payroll systems, spreadsheet software and word processing software
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, peers and subordinates
To perform this role successfully, an individual must cultivate successful relationships with the following individuals to achieve alignment and support.
- Corporate Director of Accounting
- General Manager
- Director of Human Resources
Supervisory and leadership responsibilities include achieving results through providing direction and accountability of the following Grand Performers within the culture and policies established by the Kessler Collection.
- Property Accounting Staff
Education, Certifications, Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related experience and/or training; or equivalent - preferred
- 4+ years of experience in Accounting - required
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in similar scope and title – required
- Experience within luxury brand/markets – required
Work Environment / Conditions
The work environment/conditions described herein are representative of those that an incumbent may experience.
- Must be comfortable working in a shared space, with constant noise, without the use of a private office.
- Must be able to cope with frequent changing priorities and deadlines with a high degree of optimism, professionalism & collaboration.
- Schedules may vary from week to week based on business demands in excess of 40 hours with or without notice.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. *Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions & physical demands of this role.
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to move 10lbs on a daily basis.
- Push, pull, and lift up to 50lbs on a weekly basis.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to travel by foot, car, bus, airplane or other means of transportation which require sitting, waiting and standing for long and short periods of time.