Accountant II for Public Housing Authority
- $23.05 - $24.00 Hourly
- Full Time
- Ask Us!
- Employer Likely to Respond
Position Title: Accountant II
Reports to: Accounting Supervisor
Prepares financial and regulatory reports, and performs general ledger analysis in the maintenance of
SAHA Accounting Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other
responsibilities, duties, and skills may be required and assigned, as needed.
These essential functions
require presence in the workplace on a regular basis and regular attendance must be maintained.
● Preparation of financial analysis and reports.
● Ensures that funds are properly reported and expended.
● Compiles and analyzes financial information and prepares journal entries to account documenting
business transactions and prepares reports.
● Responsible for properly accounting for grants and processes thus ensuring compliance with
funding source administrative guidelines including, but not limited to: timely receipt of revenue;
accurate submission of financial reports; and orderly, timely and accurate closure of projects; as
● Facilitates the year-end close process with internal and external auditors serving as a liaison to
external auditors. Manages the audit/assurance process by assisting with audit fieldwork and
reviewing and/or preparing audit work papers.
● Collects appropriate data and prepares all necessary reports for the Housing and Urban
Development Department (HUD), lenders, and other regulatory parties.
● Assists in the training of accounting staff in assessing accounting policies, procedures, financial
reports and internal controls.
● Ensures accuracy and timeliness in classifying and recording of financial and business
● Performs month-end closings to include posting accruals, reconciling bank accounts, and review
of financial statements.
● Monitors compliance with debt convent, trusts, loan, and other regulatory agreements.
● Provides assistance and information that is vital to the decision-making process to senior
accounting staff and management.
● Prepares contractual and Regulatory financial accounting reports to external investors and other
● Prepares internal and external financial statements, including cash flow statements, on an annual
basis. Completes year-end tasks including posting accruals, tracking cash flows, and finalizing
● Prepares statistical analyses and identifies financial areas requiring analysis.
● Assists in the budget process by researching fluctuations between actual and projected
● Adheres to Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB), Housing and Urban Development
(HUD), and other regulatory and contractual financial accounting and reporting requirements.
● Ensures that the expenditure of funds is in compliance with applicable SAHA, city, state, and
● Reconciles subsidiary ledgers to the General Ledger (i.e. Fixed Asset).
● Works under minimal supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and
● If applicable, oversight of transactional processes.
Education and Experience:
● Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from an accredited four-year college or university.
● A Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher in accounting courses is required.
● A transcript must be submitted to be considered.
● Eighteen (18) months accounting experience in the specialized areas of Public Housing, Assisted
Housing, HUD programs or other affordable housing programs; or three (3) years of general
ledger accounting work.
● Must have the ability to learn and use cloud applications such as Google GSuite applications to
include but not limited to: Google Chrome Browser, Gmail, Drive, Calendar, Docs, Sheets and
Slides. Understanding document sharing and collaboration in the cloud. Experience and
proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, cloud accessible applications to include but not limited to:
One drive, Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint or MAC or PC desktop equivalent is acceptable.
● Successful completion of a criminal history background check, education, and work history
verification, and drug screening test.
● Ability to learn cloud technologies such as LucidChart for diagram , workflow and chart drawing.
Experience with Vizio or equivalent is acceptable. Basic understanding of Virtual Private Network
(VPN) access to connect to internal business systems.
License and Certifications:
● Texas Class “C” driver’s license at the time of placement and be insurable by the Housing
Authority’s liability and fleet insurance carrier.
● Must have the ability to earn certifications as required by assigned tasks.
To perform this job successfully, the employee should have:
● Knowledge of generally accepted accounting and auditing principles, practices and procedures
● Knowledge of preparation and maintenance of accounting and budgetary data & records.
● Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) computer systems, and database, spreadsheet and word
● Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
● Interpersonal skills.
● Ability to work confidentially with discretion
● Ability to perform a variety of technical accounting duties in the preparation, maintenance and
control of financial data records.
● Ability to assure compliance with applicable policies, procedures and governmental regulations.
● Ability to reconcile accounts and balance financial statements.
● Maintain, prepare and file periodic, quarterly and annual tax returns
● Ability to plan and organize work.
● Ability to operate a variety of office equipment and machines.
● Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
● Ability to work independently with little direction.
● Ability to meet schedules and timelines.
● Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
● Ability to work respectfully and courteously with staff and the general public.