Sow Farm Tech
- $9.00 Hourly
- Part Time / Full Time
- Employer Fairly Likely to Respond
Primary Purpose of Position:
The position’s main objective is to assist in handling swine. Major duties on a sow farm include but are not limited to inseminating, feeding, watering, processing newborn piglets, branding, weighing, shuffling sows from breeding, gestation and farrowing barns. Record maintenance of all animals, examine animals for disease detection as well as general well-being of animals, assist in birth deliveries, administer vaccinations, clean and maintain animal housing areas. Perform duties related to livestock reproduction, such as animal breeding within appropriate timeframes, perform artificial insemination and helping with animal births.
Other Position Characteristics:
- Regularly lift items ranging in both size and weight and stand.
- Employee is required stoop, kneel, crouch, reach or extend arms, and walk regularly.
- Required to push or pull up to 1,450 lbs. with assistance, and must frequently lift up to 50 lbs.
- Employee must be able to spend up to two hours at a time performing repetitive motions.
- The employee will be working the majority of time in either the farrowing or breeding barn. Moderate level of livestock noise and protective equipment used during tasks include safety glasses, cutting board, hearing protection, protective mask.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Training and Experience Requirements:
- The employee must be able to adapt to a flexible work schedule and the ability to work every other weekend. Must be capable of following oral instructions or written directions. The employee should be an active listener and learner as well as possess the ability to speak clearly and convey information effectively.
- Must be able to understand written sentences, effectively communicate as well as possess basic mathematical skills (record keeping & documentation). Ability to teach others how to complete tasks as well as perform minor maintenance of equipment.