Regional Pastry Chef
- Depends on experience
- Full Time
After becoming a favorite of Alice Waters at the Berkeley Farmers’ Market in the late 1990s, pastry Chef Elisabeth Prueitt and her husband, renowned baker Chad Robertson, officially moved into San Francisco to open their wildly successful Bakery in June 2002. Almost 20 years later, you can still find the same line out the door and down Guerrero St. Elisabeth and Chad are both James Beard National Award winners and best-selling authors. Chad and Elisabeth have expanded operations beyond the Bakery to the acclaimed restaurant and production space, Tartine Manufactory, also in the Mission District of San Francisco. Additionally, they have partnered with Chris Jordan, former Director of Quality at Starbucks, to launch Coffee Manufactory. In 2018 the Tartine footprint became international, expanding to South Korea. Partnering with Chris Jordan and Chris Bianco of Tratto, Pizzeria Bianco, Roland’s and more from Phoenix, Arizona, Tartine is now launching Manufactory LA. The 40,000 sq. ft. space that will host two restaurants, four bars, a market and pastry, bread, and coffee production spaces located in the Arts District of Los Angeles.
TARTINE strives to make everything as simple and authentic as possible. Components of flavor and seasonality are considered in making our authentic pastry, cookies, tarts, cakes, confections and bread. Morning pastries don’t start coming out of the oven until soon after we open our doors for the day. Throughout the morning breakfast pastries are in constant motion: some are being formed, some are proofing, and some are baking; and at the same time the next day’s dough is being mixed. Pastries are baked in small batches to ensure the freshest items are enjoyed by our customers. The care and consideration we make in our food is also reflected in every facet of our operation – safety and sanitary practices, punctuality, empathy and communication with each other, with our guests, with our vendors and with our community – local, national and international.
AAP / EEO Statement:
Tartine is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care leave status, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or political ideology, as these terms are defined by state, federal and local law. Tartine also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees. To comply with applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, Tartine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship would result. Any employee who requires an accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job should contact their supervisor or Chad Robertson and request such an accommodation. Finally, Tartine prohibits harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above. For information about the types of conduct that constitute impermissible harassment, and internal procedures for addressing complaints of harassment, please refer to the restaurant's policy against harassment.
In conjunction with the Manufactory leadership team across the multiple locations, the Regional Pastry Chef will properly support all aspects of pastry production, ice cream production, service of all pastry and ice cream related items and maintenance of product, as well as supporting the pastry chefs with larger projects.
Activities & Responsibilities
· Demonstrates a general passion for Pastry, inquisitive mind, and an eye for quality.
· Demonstrates an extensive understanding of Tartine Pastry program:
o Grains and flours
o Tartine’s techniques
· Act with integrity, honesty and knowledge to promote the culture, values, and mission of Tartine
· Contribute to create a culture and work environment based on respect; providing opportunities for staff to learn, grow, and develop their abilities
· Execute pastry, properly train, educate, and direct pastry team leaders.
· Consult, test, train for new locations
· Maintain sustainable amounts of all of pastry related inventory items and ingredients.
· Collaborate with vendors, and farms to purchase necessary produce and ingredients in the most cost-effective manner.
· In conjunction with Commissary GM, maintain relationships with wholesale clients and perform all administrative tasks related to successfully carrying out wholesale orders including updating wholesale terms.
· Improve and implement systems and policies.
· Search for opportunities to increase production schedule efficiencies and speed up pastry production, while upholding tartine standards
· Demonstrate and train clear knowledge of food safety laws, regulations, and guidelines.
· Reviewing expenses, communicating with managers about labor, sales, and food cost
· Liaison between Guerrero Street and Commissary kitchen to coordinate exchange of product.
· Collaborate with Manufactory leads to share space, ingredients, and labor.
· Collaborate with Commissary GM to properly train and communicate with Manufactory GM and FOH members.
· Work with the finance team to hit pastry financial goals.
· Develop and test new recipes; collaborate on rotating menu items.
· Collaborate with Manufactory and Bakery managers to execute special events.
***Other DutiesPlease note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Skills and decision making parameters
o Manage annual budget
o Curriculum approval
o Recipe publishing
o Quality perimeters
o Empowered to make decisions regarding all kitchen activities
o Create seasonal flavor changes to recipes developed with Liz Prueitt and Tartine team
o Set new prices based on constantly changing ingredient cost
o Work with the management team to champion performance improvement
o Providing guidance and direction to staff including setting performance standards and monitoring performance
o Please note that all specific menu and pastry product changes must be approved by Liz before being rolled out.
o A minimum of 5 years experience in kitchen preparation. At least 6 months in a kitchen management position.
o Must have a high school diploma, formal culinary education is preferred, but not required.
o Be able to communicate and understand English & a reasonable amount of Spanish.
o Be able to reach, bend, stoop, and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
o Be able to safely lift and easily maneuver trays of food frequently weighing up to 40 pounds.
o Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (minimum of 12 hours a day).
o Effective oral communication skills and the ability to work as a team player.
o Must be well groomed, maintain good hygiene, good posture, and have required uniform and tools.
o Must display the ethical and professional standards set forth by Tartine.
o Must have the stamina to work at least 60 hours per week.
o Possess excellent basic math skills and have the ability to operate computer software programs including spreadsheet applications.
o Possess excellent communication skills.
o Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to command the attention and direction of the production & stewarding staff.