- Depends on experience
- Part Time / Full Time
- Employer Very Likely to Respond
Primary Purpose of Position:
The position’s main objective is to assist in handling, extracting and examining semen used for artificial insemination of sows. Major duties on an AI farm include but are not limited to collection of semen, examining of specimen determining appropriate density and motility, labeling, quality checking and record keeping. Observation and recording of boar conditions, assuring feed and water are readily available. Record maintenance of all animals, examining animals for disease detection as well as general well-being of animals, assist in semen extraction, administer vaccinations, clean and maintain animal housing areas. The ability to perform duties related to livestock reproduction as previously stated.
Other Position Characteristics:
- Regularly lift items ranging in both size and weight and stand.
- Employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, reach or extend arms, and walk regularly.
- Employee must be able to spend up to two hours at a time performing repetitive motions and frequently lift up to 50 lbs.
- The employee will be working on the farm as well as in the lab. Moderate level of livestock noise and required use of protective equipment including safety glasses, cutting board, hearing protection, protective mask to be used during varying tasks.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Training and Experience Requirements
- The employee must be able to adapt to flexible work schedules and work every other weekend. Must be capable of following either oral instructions or written directions. The employee should be an active listener and learner as well as possess the ability to speak clearly and convey information effectively.
- Must be able to understand written sentences and effectively communicate as well as basic mathematical skills (record keeping & documentation). Ability to teach others how to complete tasks as well as perform minor maintenance of equipment.