Jr. Sous Chef
- Depends on experience
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement, Employee Discounts, Ask Us!
- Employer Very Unlikely to Respond
The right candidate for this exceptional opportunity will be able to exhibit passion for excellence, culinary vision, understanding of quality food ingredients, interest in Mexican and Latin American culinary culture. This candidate will help coordinate the culinary vision for this restaurant’s varied outlets, banqueting & off premise catering. All of this housed in a new amazing Miami Beach development.
This Jr. Sous Chef will ensure that the quality of food and service is the best of the best during their shift and ensure a seamless transition throughout the day. Mise en place, ordering, butchering, inventory and working in the line will be an integral part of the Jr. Sous Chef’s daily tasks.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Under the guidance of the Sous Chef, establish goals for the kitchen/restaurant, anticipate and resolve relevant problems, anticipate trends, and enact approved profit-oriented and cost saving ideas/activities.
- Provide leadership when Sous Chef is absent, assists the culinary team on the line during service.
- Demonstrate hands on approach to all food items insuring quality, presentation and consistency standards meet company standards.
- Work in the line ensuring the quality and consistency of all food items produced and served.
- Assist in ordering, inventory and prep work as needed.
- Monitor guests, partners and internal feedback and propose corrective action to management ensuring the highest level of guest satisfaction.
- Support the Sous Chef in creative direction of restaurant.
- Communicate all guest requests to an appropriate cook in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensures that all kitchen employees consistently adhere to recipes, steps of service, uniform, grooming and appearance standards.
- Maintain effective communication within the kitchen, be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns, and work to resolve problems.
- Work with the purchasing department to ensure that necessary food items and supplies are ordered in a timely manner.
- Maintain effective working relationship with Food & Beverage management and other departments.
- Operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions.
- Conduct regular inspections of the entire kitchen/dishwashing areas and coolers and promptly act to correct deficiencies found during inspection.
- Ensure strict adherence to health department and food handling guidelines.
- Immediately report all suspicious occurrence(s) and hazardous conditions.
- Follow all company/kitchen safety rules, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Job description may be changed at any time.
- Two (2) years of experience as Junior Sous Chef
- Florida Food Handlers card (within 30 days of hire).
- Advanced understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills.
- Must be able to work days, nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Able to speak, read, write, and understand the English language
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
- Knowledge of health department rules and regulations, liquor laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of kitchen operations and production.
- Two (2) years of experience in a similar position at a four or five-star style hotel or restaurant.
- Certification of Culinary training or apprenticeship.
- Understanding/Knowledge of the budgeting and forecasting process.
- Previously worked with multi-unit operations from fine dining to casual.
- Experience of expanding and condensing recipes.
- Knowledge and passion for Mexican cuisine and technique helpful but not essential
- Knowledge of food cost controls.
- Interest in Modern American dining trends and healthy ingredients.
- Strong guest service orientation.
- Able to follow and create detailed recipes, measured in grams and US measures.
- Excellent communication skills (verbally interacts with management, servers, team members and guests.)
- Possess excellent knife skills and be able to operate kitchen equipment.
- Ability to work in a team environment exercising adequate leadership.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Guest service orientation and commitment to quality service.
- Have problem solving abilities, be self-motivated and organized.
- General computer skills including but not limited to email, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Must have proven leadership skills and teambuilding skills.
- Effectively train and motivate associates and maintain cohesive teams.
- Be able to work with and understand financial information, data and basic arithmetic functions.
- Ability to take initiative and get creative in resolving challenges and involve management members when previous methods have been unsuccessful.
- Ability to speak and hear, vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Constant standing with some walking.
- Be able to work in a standing position for extended periods of time.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 50 pounds.
- Continual use of manual dexterity and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills.
- Generally, in an indoor setting.
- Work is performed in the kitchen area with exposure to heat, cold, fumes, and steam.
- Will be using a computer occasionally.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays and extended hours as business dictates.
- The work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Work flexible hours that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, nights and/or holidays.