Pastry Sous Chef
- Depends on experience
After becoming a favorite of Alice Waters at the Berkeley Farmers’ Market in the late 1990s, pastry chef Elisabeth Prueitt and her husband, renowned baker Chad Robertson, officially moved into San Francisco to open their wildly successful Bakery in June 2002. Over 15 years later, you can still find the same line out the door and down Guerrero St. Elisabeth and Chad were jointly named Best Pastry Chef in America by the James Beard Foundation in 2008, and are both best-selling authors.
In 2016, Chad and Elisabeth opened the acclaimed restaurant and production space, Tartine Manufactory, also in the Mission District of San Francisco. Additionally, they have partnered with Chris Jordan, former CEO of Verve Coffee, to launch Coffee Manufactory and now source and roast their own coffee. In 2018 the Tartine footprint became international, expanding to South Korea with two new outposts in Seoul.
We have expanded to Los Angeles at The Row DTLA and partnered with acclaimed chef and pizzaiolo, Chris Bianco of Phoenix’s Pizzeria Bianco to open The Manufactory. The project occupies nearly 40,000 square feet and includes an all-day cafe, a bakery, a market, a dinner-only restaurant, a coffee lab and roastery.
TARTINE strives to make everything as simple and authentic as possible. Components of flavor and seasonality are considered in making our authentic pastry, cookies, tarts, cakes, confections and bread. Morning pastries don’t start coming out of the oven until soon after we open our doors for the day. Throughout the morning breakfast pastries are in constant motion: some are being formed, some are proofing, and some are baking; and at the same time the next day’s dough is being mixed. Pastries are baked in small batches to ensure the freshest items are enjoyed by our customers. The care and consideration we make in our food is also reflected in every facet of our operation – safety and sanitary practices, punctuality, empathy and communication with each other, with our guests, with our vendors and with our community – local, national and international.
AAP / EEO Statement:
TARTINE Manufactory is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care leave status, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or political ideology, as these terms are defined by state, federal and local law. TARTINE Manufactory also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.
To comply with applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, TARTINE Manufactory will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship would result. Any employee who requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job should contact their supervisor or Chad Robertson and request such an accommodation.
Finally, TARTINE Manufactory prohibits harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above. For information about the types of conduct that constitute impermissible harassment, and internal procedures for addressing complaints of harassment, please refer to the restaurant's policy against harassment.
In conjunction with the Manufactory leadership team, properly manage all aspects of pastry production, viennoiserie, and ice cream production, service of all pastry and ice cream related items & maintenance of product, as well as execute all related administrative tasks.
Activities & Responsibilities
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of TARTINE MANUFACTORY.
- Act with integrity, honesty and knowledge to promote the culture, values, and mission of Tartine MANUFACTORY.
- Contribute to create a culture and work environment based on respect; providing opportunities for staff to learn, grow, and develop their abilities
- Execute pastry and ice cream menus developed by Liz Prueitt and pastry chef. Properly train, educate, and direct pastry team members.
- Maintain sustainable amounts of all of pastry and ice cream related inventory items and ingredients.
- Collaborate with vendors, and farms to purchase necessary produce and ingredients in the most cost-effective manner.
- Assist pastry chef in organizing all pastry and ice cream production schedules and communicate to staff with at least a week’s lead time per schedule.
- Assist pastry chef in overseeing sale of pastry, ice cream, and other pastry-related retail goods.
- Collaborate with pastry chef to share space, ingredients, and labor.
- Collaborate with General Manager to properly train and communicate with ice cream and pastry FOH team members.
- Test new recipes with Liz and pastry chef.
- Prepare & manage a regular cleaning schedule of all kitchen areas & major equipment in conjunction with department heads
- Assist pastry chef in overseeing inventory of all pastry-related goods on the last day of every month
- Assist pastry chef in managing the transfer & transport of product between all Tartine MANUFACTORY space in all aspects including packaging, documentation, receipt, storage, & input
- Possess excellent communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to command the attention and direction of the production & stewarding staff.
***Other DutiesPlease note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Empowered to make decisions regarding all kitchen activities
- Work with the management team to champion performance improvement
- Providing guidance and direction to staff including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Please note that all specific menu and pastry product changes must be approved by Liz and pastry chef before being rolled out.
***Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, performing and coordinating a variety of duties and tasks for the restaurant.
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a high school diploma, formal culinary education is preferred, but not required.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in kitchen preparation. At least 6 months in a kitchen management position.
- Be able to communicate and understand English & a reasonable amount of Spanish.
- Effective oral communication skills and the ability to work as a team player.
- Must be well groomed, maintain good hygiene, good posture, and have required uniform and tools.
- Must display the ethical and professional standards set forth by Tartine.
- Possess excellent basic math skills and have the ability to operate computer software programs including spreadsheet applications.
- Able to handle money and operate a point-of-sale system
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (minimum of 12 hours a day).
- Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- Be able to safely lift and easily maneuver trays of food frequently weighing up to 40 pounds
- Stamina and availability to work at least 60 hours per week