SENIOR DIRECTOR, DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
- Depends on experience
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Meal Plan / Free Food
- Employer Likely to Respond
SENIOR DIRECTOR, DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
Mendocino Farms Sandwich Market
Studio City, CA
The Senior Director, Design & Construction is responsible for the design and execution of new and remodeled stores to meet the company’s growth goals. This position serves as a key resource to the company’s Senior Leadership Team. This position is responsible for creating new store design concepts to maintain and develop the Mendocino Farms brand.
- Develop and manage budgets consistent with timeline requirements for New Store Development and Renovation Projects.
- Responsible for the scope of work consistent with operation needs and budget allowances, including overseeing scheduling, bid negotiations and consultant relationships.
- Support in the site selection process and due diligence on potential sites.
- Manage the construction phase of the development process.
- Provide, review and coordinate construction documents with architect, KEC, MEPs and landlord.
- Manage the permitting and approval phase of the development process and ensure all proper approvals have been received prior to initiating possession or construction phase.
- Oversee bidding process and contract negotiations. Ensure company’s contract policies are followed. Maintain and monitor active General Contractor (GC) pool for adequate number, quality of workmanship and service level.
- Monitor and direct general contractor and vendor performance during construction build-out phase.
- Maintain relationships with jurisdictions and planning commissions to ensure seamless store openings.
- Ensure a construction project schedule is initiated and distributed to appropriate stakeholders. Maintain and distribute revised schedules to all applicable parties through the duration of project to allow store to open on time.
- Manage project schedules, maintain, adjust and update project plans as needed.
- Consolidate, communicate and manage all issues and risks affecting the project.
- Communicate project status to project participants and stakeholders accurately and on time.
- Oversee ordering and tracking of materials and equipment.
- Negotiate service, fees and contracts.
- Visit job-site regularly to perform due diligence and monitor quality. Address concerns and maintain consistent follow-up on any outstanding issues.
- Plan and manage Construction processes and practices to ensure that Responsible for the Design function within RD, including the development of policies and procedures related to the design of new stores and remodeling of existing stores within the company.
- Contributes strategically to the company’s business success by meeting PRG’s restaurant design goals.
- Leads the company’s entitlement and permitting process to ensure that new restaurants open as quickly and expeditiously as possible to minimize delays in new store openings.
- Ensures compliance throughout the company with brand guidelines for all concept restaurants. Oversees the delivery of new store approval and opening plans to meet the company’s growth plans. Collaborates on restaurant design innovation with Marketing, IS, Project Development, and Operations.
- Stays abreast of retail/hospitality industry trends related to store design, construction, and maintenance, with a focus on casual dining. Communicates the effectiveness of the company’s restaurant development strategies to Senior Leadership and makes recommendations on modifying the strategies or creating new approaches. Ensures the company’s capability to keep pace with its growth and meet its business objectives by implementing best-in-class processes and systems.
Knowledge, Skills, & Experience
- Ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings.
- Ability to identify key issues/opportunities and develop action plans in a timely manner.
- Comprehensive knowledge of restaurant design and construction and the development cycle
- Comprehensive understanding of retail unit economics
- Maintains currency in proposed/potential changes in design and construction regulations
- Strong financial management and analysis skills
- Strong project management skills and negotiation skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Strong leadership and relationship building skills applied internally and externally
- Ability to advise senior leadership on strategies and issues
- Ability to communicate the values of the organization and to exemplify the highest level of interpersonal, presentation, facilitation, and communication skills
- Ability to build business relationships and negotiate at highest levels of vendor company
- Ability to develop/coach associates and assess professional and management talent
- Ability to foster and encourage diverse viewpoints and build consensus
- Ability to think strategically and understand and interpret profit and loss statements
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams and work effectively with other departments and Operations, providing inspired leadership on multi-functional projects
- Ability to advise senior leadership on design, construction, and facility maintenance strategies and issues
- Ability to embrace change and continuous learning
- Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or related field.
- 5-10 years of direct project management required; Experience with managing multiple construction projects simultaneously preferred; Multi-Unit Restaurant or Retail experience preferred.
- Flexibility with work hours and travel as needed.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office, MS Project or similar scheduling/ PM software.
There is no “I” in Mendo
Mendocino Farms is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. Mendocino Farms will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.