Housing Specialist, North County
- Depends on experience
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement
- Employer Unlikely to Respond
The Housing Specialist is responsible for assisting SSVF clients in identifying and obtaining affordable housing. As an integral part of the Housing Specialist’s responsibilities, the Housing Specialist is required to create and maintain relationships with landlords who will work with SSVF clients. The Housing Specialist works collaboratively with the SSVF team and other VVSD Staff as is warranted. The Housing Specialist provides training to clients as it applies to obtaining and maintaining housing. This position will be stationed in the SSVF North County satellite office.
- Proactively seeks new housing opportunities and resources to assist individuals/families in obtaining permanent housing
- Maintain an up-to-date Housing Directory which should include documentation of all contacts with housing providers and landlords.
- Conduct initial meeting with each individual/family who participate in the SSVF program.
- In collaboration with case managers, negotiate leases on behalf of clients
- Conduct unit inspection to ensure unit compliance
- Develop and facilitate trainings and workshops for clients and SSVF staff to include tenant rights, responsibilities, housing discrimination, and how to effectively communicate with landlords and others
- Provide housing availability, including Fair Market Rate rentals and other affordable, permanent housing opportunities, to SSVF team and clients in an efficient and timely manner.
- Regularly follow up with clients seeking housing to help support their housing options.
- Identify ways for clients to overcome housing barriers.
- Disseminate relevant housing information to clients and Case Manager in a timely fashion
- Regularly coordinate and communicate with SSVF Case Managers
- Maintain case documentation, using HMIS in accordance with agency and best standard practices.
- Maintain documentation of trainings, budgets, housing contacts, client contacts and other pertinent information in accordance with agency and best standard practices.
- Attend SSVF team and agency meetings as required
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Ability to develop appropriate strong working relationships with client population; be able to relate to individuals making significant life decisions, and be supportive of individuals’ increasing independence.
- Must also be able to prepare written reports and maintain client documentation
- Knowledge of housing resources in San Diego is a plus
- Skills in landlord negation
- Knowledge of tenant rights and responsibility
- Able to negotiate leases
- Must be able to hold to high standards of confidentiality
- Knowledge of HMIS a plus
- Prior experience working with homeless population
- Ability to prioritize competing responsibilities and thrive in a challenging situations
- Able to change priorities at a moment’s notice
- Proficient skill level in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Privately owned vehicle, valid Driver’s License with proof of current vehicle insurance
- Must be able to fluently read, write and communicate in English
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time
- Must be able to comfortably perform, both physically and mentally, all aspects of job description and other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Experience supporting programs serving homeless individuals/families and those diagnosed with physical or mental disabilities
- Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
- Ability to bend and lift light objects
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time while viewing a computer monitor
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
- Capable of hearing and speaking to exchange information
- Seeing to read reports and data
- Ability to speak English
- Must be able to work in a noisy, busy environment.