Registered Nurse (RN)/Physician Substitute
- $40.00 Hourly
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement
- Employer Very Unlikely to Respond
Please note that we recruit for this position on an on-going basis in order to build a talent pool of potential candidates. When a position becomes available, we will review applicants at that time. Due to the volume of resumes that we receive, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in Scantibodies Laboratory, Inc
The Registered Nurse (Physician Substitute) is responsible for the evaluation of potential donors for plasmapheresis and in providing limited emergency care, including the administration of any medications or treatments in accordance with licensure or certification, training and SOP guidance. Also need working knowledge of all areas of operation in the Donor Center.
· Determines donor suitability and suitability of high titer “Disease Associated Antibody donors” when such donors meet the criterion for normal plasma donors; educates donors regarding the plasma donation process; obtains informed consent from donors; manages donor medical incidents; counsels unsuitable donors and manages employee hepatitis B immunization program.
· Conducts confidential and effective interviews with donors to obtain necessary information. Performs medical histories and screening physical examinations for donors; assesses results of donor screening and laboratory tests to determine initial and continuing donor suitability. Examinations include but are not limited to eyes, ears, nose, throat, neck, abdomen, extremities, and the neurological system. Completes forms and document comments. Explains informed consent materials to donors. This includes explanation of procedures, hazards, and potential adverse events; providing clear opportunity for donor to refuse participation; obtaining signature and date certifying informed consent.
· Handles emergencies at the Donor Center by providing routine care as outlined in SOP’s; contacting Center Physician or Medical Director for further instructions as needed; contacting emergency medical service/local hospital as needed; periodically checking emergency medical kit to assure supplies are present and in-date. Administration of medication within scope of individual licensure.
· Reviews test results and determine continued donor suitability. Follows SOP’s regarding acceptable ranges of SPE scans; maintains knowledge of and applies all rules regarding four month approvals and grace periods. Assesses signs and symptoms a donor may exhibit that may contraindicate continued donation.
· Notifies donors of unsuitable test results. Provides donors with notification forms. Refers donors to community facilities for follow-up testing and counseling.
· Maintains confidentiality with respect to employee, donor and center records reviewed during the course of all duties. Manages employee hepatitis B immunization program.
· Understands and utilizes center computer system (DMS). Maintains current professional licensure or certification and current CPR certification. Maintains work environment in a clean and efficient manner. Follows all environmental health safety and OSHA policies and procedures.
· Monitors the donor floor area periodically and assists in the screening area.
· Performs other related center duties, as assigned.
· Maintain Medical Staff Associate log and documents discussions of special situations with the center physician on a regular basis.
· Ability to tug, lift, and pull up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
· Regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
· Other related duties as required.
General Office Equipment
Physical Exam Equipment
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Graduation from a nursing, or physician assistant school or training program. Experience in a plasma center environment is a plus.
- Must be currently licensed or certified in the state in which the center operates and maintain that licensure.
- Must have current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate in the state in which the center operates.
- Must complete 5 week training program at a SBI center and pass an evaluation by the training physician.
- Must have excellent patient/donor assessment skills.
- Must be able to manage emergency situations in accordance with standard medical care practices and with a calm demeanor.
- Previous work experience should demonstrate adaptability to changing priorities, excellent attention to detail, legible handwriting, and the ability to deal effectively with people.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be able to effectively communicate and demonstrate leadership and supervisory skills.
- Ability to speak, write and read English. Bilingual abilities may be required in some locations.
Working Conditions/Physical & Mental Demands:
Environmentally controlled office and lab areas of donor center. May be required to enter an environment with a temperature of -30°C for short periods of time.
Ability to stand for extended periods for up to four hours at a time
Be able to bend, stoop or kneel.
Occupational exposure to blood borne pathogens
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
Physical ability and manual dexterity to perform all phases of donor plasmapheresis.
Physical ability to perform CPR and sufficient mobility to immediately assist in any adverse donor reactions.
Must be able to work in fast paced environment and multi-task.
Supervision of Others:
SBI is an equal opportunity employer and all employees are responsible for maintaining a discrimination and harassment free environment.
All employees are accountable for conducting their daily business responsibilities in an ethical and moral manner.
The above declarations are not intended to be an “all-inclusive” list of duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.