- Depends on experience
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement
- Employer Fairly Likely to Respond
Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for Shelter Coordinator to work with our Shelter program. Working closely with the Case Managers and the Security team, Shelter Coordinators will provide support to our clients and assist other Shelter staff in moving clients from homelessness to permanent supportive housing.
If you love working with veterans, desire to make a difference every day, perhaps this position is for you!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reports to the Shelter Supervisor and collaborates closely with other key members of the Shelter team to meet the needs of our clients.
- Assists Case Managers with intakes, interviews, assessments, and refers clients to appropriate community resources as needed.
- Input basic client demographic data into the Homeless Management Information System.
- Enforce the rules and regulations of the Shelter program to ensure safety for both our residents and our employees.
- Confer with the Shelter Supervisor to resolve participant complaints.
- Supervises clients with laundry chores, such as folding and putting laundry away.
- During meal times, checks off names of clients on the roster and takes the lead in assisting with any issues that may arise with clients in the chow line.
- Takes the lead in conducting nightly bed checks with the security staff.
- Works with Security staff to process and document all roll-ups.
- Completes all necessary exit paperwork.
- Monitors and ensures all clients are completing assigned chores and completes required documentation.
- Accepts, organizes and stores any donations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Basic understanding of the military and/or the Veterans Administration.
- Previous experience working with homeless individuals.
- Understanding of causes of homelessness.
- Fluently read, write, and communicate in English.
- Work within a diverse population.
- Have reliable transportation.
- Ability to perform all aspects of the job description both mentally and physically, as well as other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- Ability to stand or walk up to 8 hours per shift.
- Ability to lift 15 lbs. or more.