- Depends on experience
- Full Time
- Ask Us!
Pastry chef Elisabeth M. Prueitt and her husband renowned baker, Chad Robertson, are the co-founders of Tartine Bakery. After becoming a favorite of Alice Waters at the Berkeley Farmer's Market in the late 1990s, they officially moved into San Francisco to open their bakery in June 2002. Sixteen years later you can still find the same line out the door. Elisabeth and Chad are both James Beard National Award winners and best-selling authors. They have expanded operations beyond the bakery to the acclaimed Tartine Manufactory restaurant and have partnered with Chris Jordan (former Director of Quality at Starbucks) to launch Coffee Manufactory. Tartine Bakery is continually rated in the Zagat Survey as Best Bakery and Best Breakfast in San Francisco and in 2017 Food and Wine named Tartine Manufactory one of its "Restaurants of the Year."
TARTINE strives to make everything as simple and authentic as possible. Components of flavor and seasonality are considered in making our authentic pastry, cookies, tarts, cakes, confections and bread. Morning pastries don’t start coming out of the oven until soon after we open our doors for the day. Throughout the morning breakfast pastries are in constant motion: some are being formed, some are proofing, and some are baking; and at the same time the next day’s dough is being mixed. Pastries are baked in small batches to ensure the freshest items are enjoyed by our customers. The care and consideration we make in our food is also reflected in every facet of our operation – safety and sanitary practices, punctuality, empathy and communication with each other, with our guests, with our vendors and with our community – local, national and international.
AAP / EEO Statement:
The Manufactory is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care leave status, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or political ideology, as these terms are defined by state, federal and local law. The Manufactory also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.
To comply with applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, The Manufactory will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship would result. Any employee who requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job should contact their supervisor or Chad Robertson and request such an accommodation.
Finally, The Manufactory prohibits harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above. For information about the types of conduct that constitute impermissible harassment, and internal procedures for addressing complaints of harassment, please refer to the restaurant's policy against harassment.
As a member of the pastry team, bakers will execute all tasks related to assembling, mixing, and finishing pastry and viennoiserie products for Tartine Bianco and delivering these items for service while adhering to the The MANUFACTORY vision, culture, and team values.
Activities & Responsibilities
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of The Manufactory.
- Act with integrity, honesty and knowledge to promote the culture, values, and mission of The Manufactory.
- Contribute to create a culture and work environment based on respect; providing opportunities for staff to learn, grow, and develop their abilities.
- Arrive to the kitchen floor ready to work at the time of the start of shift (change before shift).
- Understand all aspects of the pastry, viennoiserie, and ice cream menus developed by the pastry management team and how to execute each component
- Understand the quality of product expected by The MANUFACTORY and how to edit product that is not to that standard
- Works cleanly, ensuring that every station is cleaned after every project executed
- Execute recipe processes and techniques developed by the pastry management team to ensure consistency and quality
- Write prep lists to ensure that all components of pastry items are delivered for service in a timely manner and that the next day’s shift is set up with product to execute their day. Communicates with following day’s shift on amounts of product.
- Execute pastry menus developed by the pastry management team.
- Own the stations that they are working each day.
- Assist other pastry team members when needed.
- Clean all equipment and workspaces following specific cleaning procedures set forth by pastry management
- Communicates with all team members respectfully and professionally - use “we” instead of “I”
- Maximize efficiency in all areas of production and execute proper time management during shifts
- Work gracefully in a fast-paced, high-volume workplace
- Work in a thoughtful manner when executing any and all tasks
- Ask for help when it is needed.
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a high school diploma, formal culinary education is preferred, but not required.
- A current California Food Handlers Certificate
- A minimum of 1 years' experience in kitchen preparation.
- Be able to communicate and understand English & a reasonable amount of Spanish.
- Effective oral communication skills and the ability to work as a team player.
- Must be well groomed, maintain proper hygiene, good posture, and have required uniform and tools.
- Must display the ethical and professional standards set forth by Tartine.
- Possess excellent basic math skills.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (minimum of 8 hours a day).
- Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- Be able to safely lift and easily maneuver trays of food frequently weighing up to 40 pounds
- Stamina and availability to work at least 40 hours per week, including weekends and some holidays.