Market General Manager
- Depends on experience
- Full Time
After becoming a favorite of Alice Waters at the Berkeley Farmers’ Market in the late 1990s, pastry chef Elisabeth Prueitt and her husband, renowned baker Chad Robertson, officially moved into San Francisco to open their wildly successful Bakery in June 2002. Over 15 years later, you can still find the same line out the door and down Guerrero St. Elisabeth and Chad were jointly named Best Pastry Chef in America by the James Beard Foundation in 2008, and are both best-selling authors.
In 2016, Chad and Elisabeth opened the acclaimed restaurant and production space, Tartine Manufactory, also in the Mission District of San Francisco. Additionally, they have partnered with Chris Jordan, former CEO of Verve Coffee, to launch Coffee Manufactory and now source and roast their own coffee. In 2018 the Tartine footprint became international, expanding to South Korea with two new outposts in Seoul.
We have expanded to Los Angeles at The Row DTLA and partnered with acclaimed chef and pizzaiolo, Chris Bianco of Phoenix’s Pizzeria Bianco to open The Manufactory. The project occupies nearly 40,000 square feet and includes an all-day cafe, a bakery, a market, a dinner-only restaurant, a coffee lab and roastery.
TARTINE strives to make everything as simple and authentic as possible. Components of flavor and seasonality are considered in making our authentic pastry, cookies, tarts, cakes, confections and bread. Morning pastries don’t start coming out of the oven until soon after we open our doors for the day. Throughout the morning breakfast pastries are in constant motion: some are being formed, some are proofing, and some are baking; and at the same time the next day's dough is being mixed. Pastries are baked in small batches to ensure the freshest items are enjoyed by our customers. The care are consideration we make in our food is also reflected in every facet of our operation – safety and sanitary practices, punctuality, empathy and communication with each other, with our guests, with our vendors and with our community – local, national and international.
AAP / EEO Statement:
TARTINE Manufactory is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care leave status, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or political ideology, as these terms are defined by state, federal and local law. TARTINE Manufactory also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.
To comply with applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, TARTINE Manufactory will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship would result. Any employee who requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job should contact their supervisor or Chad Robertson and request such an accommodation.
Finally, TARTINE Manufactory prohibits harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above. For information about the types of conduct that constitute impermissible harassment, and internal procedures for addressing complaints of harassment, please refer to the restaurant's policy against harassment.
Oversee all areas of operations at the Market, setting and achieving the highest standards as set forth by Directors and Ownership including employee experience, customer experience, and bottom-line financial results.
Activities & Responsibilities
- Create a culture in the Market that is exciting, optimistic, rewarding and memorable for both employees and guests alike.
- Oversee all aspects of Market from food service and retail product display to facility maintenance (interior & exterior).
- Create, implement, and maintain a system/ standard for customer service and employee training for the Market as a whole.
- Build a team of top performers – of recruiting and training the next generation of leaders, guiding them to be promoted and empowering them to have a successful career.
- Relay and address the needs of the customer, the managers, Executive-Chef and staff employees.
- Oversee the monthly P&L and related controllables.
- Develops and executes sales and profit projections, staying in line with budget goals.
- Lead the team in successful day-to-day operations - by example and by being a role model of the standards and behaviors consistent with the Manufactory’s values and culture.
- Continue to develop and maintain proper training materials and tools to ensure an excellent customer service and experience and to meet and exceed customer needs.
- Identify efficiency opportunities as it pertains to all areas of operations from POS and technology to operational supplies etc.
- Properly train and develop Staff, Managers, and Associates through quality orientations, development discussions, performance evaluations, and recognition so that they are prepared for additional career opportunities. Coach and counsel employees on a timely basis; making decisions on promotions and terminations of employees and taking the appropriate action.
- Demonstrate the management style that is reflective of our values and culture. Fostering an environment of teamwork. Successfully communicating company changes/focus to the team.
- Identify talent, interview, and hire new associates.
- Maintain a strong, clean, and organized retail & food service product inventory and display.
- Ensure daily set up/ mid-day/ evening/ breakdown are done timely, accurately and in accordance with the company standards.
- Work in tandem with Kitchen teams and Commissary to ensure product quality, controls, and displays are managed appropriately.
- Manage employee positioning and customer flow.
- Oversee order accuracy and menu knowledge. Addressing customer needs/ complaints as they arise.
- Ensure facility interior and exterior are presented in a clean and satisfactory condition at all times.
- Write and post schedules that meet the needs of the business so that a great customer experience is delivered while maintaining financial responsibility.
- Ensure that all Health, safety and security standards are emphasized and adhered to, and that employees are trained in appropriate responses to unsafe situations.
- Display, merchandize and rotate retail products in ways that are approachable & appealing.
Bottom Line Performance:
- Maintain P&L statements, budgets, and cost controls with regard to food, beverage, labor, operational supplies & retail products.
- Review all invoices ensuring accuracy of product received and approving for payment.
- Implement and practice proper payroll procedures. Performing required administrative duties on time, including processing required paperwork.
***Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, performing and coordinating a variety of duties and tasks for the restaurant.
Job-Related Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Minimum of 2 years prior General Management in restaurant concept and/ or Multi – Unit Management.
- Knowledge of labor laws, health codes, safe food handling, sanitation, safety and security systems and procedures, computer operations.
- Strong leadership, management, supervision, and interpersonal skills, effective at all levels.
- Ability to decipher, edit, interpret, and present data, information, and schematics.
- Excellent verbal and written communications and oral presentation skills.
- Highly effective ability to collaborate, negotiate, influence and network with a wide range of diverse groups, including senior leadership, management, external customers, vendors, public officials.
- Ability to apply leadership, strategic thought and innovation to new product development and business opportunities.
- Personal traits such as creativity, dependability, finesse, business acumen are required.
- Ability to think on your feet and strong sense of urgency required.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including days, nights, weekends and holidays.