- Depends on experience
- Full Time
- Ask Us!
- Employer Fairly Likely to Respond
Elisabeth Prueitt and Chad Robertson opened Tartine Bakery in 2002 in San Francisco’s Mission District. The two met while attending the Culinary Institute of America (they were seated alphabetically) and together developed their love of baking. Over 17 years later they continue to make their coveted morning buns and country loaves - and also continue to push the boundaries around sustainability, ingredient sourcing and improving the artisanal process through innovation. Together they have published 5 award-winning books with 2 more in production.
In 2015, Tartine partnered with coffee veteran Chris Jordan to build Coffee Manufactory, a sister brand that would source and roast coffee mirroring the same sustainability principles of Tartine. In 2016, Tartine Manufactory SF opened its doors and in 2018 Tartine launched its first international location in Seoul, Korea and expanded to Southern California opening The Manufactory Los Angeles. We are poised for growth, but ensuring we are doing so at a human scale - continuing to invest in our partners, our people and our supply chain.
Chad and Elisabeth are multi-time James Beard Award Winners and Nominees for their work at Tartine Bakery as well as their cookbooks.
Tartine Manufactory named one of America’s 50 Best New Restaurants in 2017
Coffee Manufactory named “Best Coffee” in Food & Wine in 2019
Tartine is committed to creating a lasting legacy in our communities through hospitality and experience. Delivering things you have seen before in a way you have never experienced, from a warm loaf of bread to a hot cup of coffee.
Our core values:
We are committed to transparency and approachability every step of the way. We define ourselves by our open kitchens, shared practices and collaboration with partners and suppliers.
Baking requires careful balance. Tartine is built on the balance of flavors, the balance of ideas and the balance between our founders. We bring together a diversity of people, ingredients and approaches.
Patiently pursuing the best possible solution for our guests. We are united by a common high standard. In each space, in each meal, each loaf.
AAP / EEO Statement:
TARTINE Manufactory is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care leave status, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or political ideology, as these terms are defined by state, federal and local law. TARTINE Manufactory also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.
To comply with applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, TARTINE Manufactory will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship would result. Any employee who requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job should contact their supervisor or Chad Robertson and request such an accommodation.
Finally, TARTINE Manufactory prohibits harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above. For information about the types of conduct that constitute impermissible harassment, and internal procedures for addressing complaints of harassment, please refer to the restaurant's policy against harassment.
As a member of the pastry team, bakers will execute all tasks related to assembling, mixing, and finishing pastry and viennoiserie products for Tartine Bianco and delivering these items for service while adhering to the Tartine MANUFACTORY vision, culture, and team values.
Activities & Responsibilities
o Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of TARTINE MANUFACTORY.
· Act with integrity, honesty and knowledge to promote the culture, values, and mission of Tartine MANUFACTORY.
· Contribute to create a culture and work environment based on respect; providing opportunities for staff to learn, grow, and develop their abilities
· Arrive to the kitchen floor ready to work at the time of the start of shift (change before shift).
· Understand all aspects of the pastry, viennoiserie, and ice cream menus developed by the pastry management team and how to execute each component
· Understand the quality of product expected by Tartine MANUFACTORY and how to edit product that is not to that standard
· Works cleanly, ensuring that every station is cleaned after every project executed
· Execute recipe processes and techniques developed by the pastry management team to ensure consistency and quality
· Write prep lists to ensure that all components of pastry items are delivered for service in a timely manner and that the next day’s shift is set up with product to execute their day. Communicates with following day’s shift on amounts of product.
· Execute pastry menus developed by the pastry management team.
· Properly train, educate, and direct incoming pastry team members.
· Own the stations that they are working each day.
· Help other pastry team members when needed.
· Clean all equipment and workspaces following specific cleaning procedures set forth by pastry management
· Communicates with all team members respectfully and professionally - use “we” instead of “I”
· Maximize efficiency in all areas of production and execute proper time management during shifts
· Work gracefully in a fast-paced, high-volume workplace
· Work in a thoughtful manner when executing any and all tasks
· Ask for help when it is needed.
o Be 18 years of age or older
o Must have a high school diploma, formal culinary education is preferred, but not required.
- A current California Food Handlers Certificate
o A minimum of 1 years' experience in kitchen preparation.
o Be able to communicate and understand English & a reasonable amount of Spanish.
o Effective oral communication skills and the ability to work as a team player.
o Must be well groomed, maintain good hygiene, good posture, and have required uniform and tools.
o Must display the ethical and professional standards set forth by Tartine.
o Possess excellent basic math skills.
o Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (minimum of 8 hours a day).
o Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
o Be able to safely lift and easily maneuver trays of food frequently weighing up to 40 pounds
o Stamina and availability to work at least 40 hours per week, including weekends and some holidays.