- Depends on experience
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Meal Plan / Free Food, Ask Us!
- Employer Fairly Likely to Respond
Love & Salt is seeking a professional Sous Chef to help lead our vibrant operation.
Love & Salt is an Italian inspired neighborhood restaurant with California sensibility that exemplifies the culture of Los Angeles. Recognized as the Top 10 Best New Restaurants by Los Angeles Magazine, led by Executive Chef Chris Feldmeier and a seasoned management team, Love & Salt serves fresh and market driven ingredients, a highly curated wine list and seasonal hand crafted cocktails with genuine hospitality. Our attitude, philosophy and passion are all about how we show love & respect for our team, our product, our equipment, our guests, our vendors, our community and ourselves. Our mission is to Be Amazing, Make Friends with everyone who walks through the door and Love Our Community! All candidates commit to live by our core values of love, integrity, quality, generosity, respect and teamwork.
To learn more about us, Google us, visit us on Facebook and Instagram @loveandsaltla, visit our website www.loveandsaltla.com or read this article http://www.lamag.com/thebestnewrestaurants/the-top-10-best-new-restaurants-of-2015/.
A qualified Sous Chef needs to maintain ownership over the entire venue and all aspects of the BOH operation alongside the Executive Chef and Chef De Cuisine, and in the absence of the Executive Chef and Chef De Cuisine. In their absence, the Sous Chef assumes all responsibilities normally assigned to the Executive Chef and Chef de Cuisine with a willingness to enthusiastically follow the Chef’s recipes and vision. Working as a Sous Chef is often a step toward becoming a Chef de Cuisine and serves as on-the-job training for those wishing to continue their careers. A Sous Chef must be familiar with all of the daily operations of the kitchen, and must be able to perform any task in the kitchen if needed. The Sous Chef connects personally with offering guests a uniquely memorable experience and personalized service, developing and promoting a winning culinary program, engaging and building relationships with local food and beverage purveyors, establishing a well-run kitchen staff and routine, and thriving in a fast paced environment. This leadership position also assists in monitoring the financial performance of the business and actively participates in community/industry organizations.
- A minimum of 3-years of experience as a Junior Sous Chef in a chef driven, market driven, full-service restaurant with strong knowledge in menu development and back of the house operations.
- Experience with menu development, and working with purveyors that demonstrates understanding of purchasing, pricing, and menu costing.
- Well-honed culinary skills, strong food-handling technique and cooking ability,
- A culinary degree a plus
- Some experience in running the day-to-day operations of a well-organized and efficient kitchen.
- Some experience with the oversight and execution of food production and with training, development and management with good leadership, interpersonal and mentoring skills maintaining a courteous, friendly and professional manner while working under pressure.
- Some understanding of cost and labor control systems that lead to restaurant profitability (i.e P&L, recipe costing, food/labor, etc.).
- Ability to run every cooking station.
- Passion about food and the hospitality industry and hunger to learn and grow everyday with attention to detail and precision in work is a must.
- High school or equivalent education required. Bachelor's Degree preferred. Culinary school preferred.
- Food Safety Manager certificate required and must be familiar with OSHA, SB198, local Department of Health regulations, state liquor laws and relevant current laws governing handling of hazardous substances.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Manage all food production including that used for restaurants, private room functions and other outlets and perform food preparation, station set-up and service tasks when necessary.
- Work with the Executive Chef and Chef de Cuisine on the development of menus that are in line with the concept of the restaurant and supervise to ensure product consistency and seasonality.
- Develops standard recipes, product specification, and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
- Manage inventory, ordering and receiving systems to ensure that appearance and quality are consistently maintained, to maintain an adequate supply of all provisions in the kitchen and establish programs that minimize waste and theft.
- Effectively control costs and meet or exceed key target cost percentages to minimize food and labor costs. Develop and monitor food and labor budget for the back of house. Prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results. Take corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met.
- Managing kitchen staff. The Sous Chef will often have the task of ensuring that all kitchen workers are performing at the level required by a professional kitchen. He or she may be asked to discipline workers who are not performing their job correctly or professionally, and may come up with incentives to ensure that workers are putting their best effort forth
- Training and scheduling. The Sous Chef is often in charge of training new employees and creating the schedule to ensure adequate manning for the kitchen.
- Coordinate with the FOH Managers to ensure the efficient and professional operation of the dining room, and private room service understanding and responding to all guest needs and requests in a timely and professional manner.
- Immediately report all equipment repairs, suspicious occurrences and hazardous conditions.
- The Sous Chef will be responsible for arranging tickets and ordering food preparation so that customers receive food in the order it should be sent out. For example. The Sous Chef will tell the other chefs when to cook different menu items for a table of customers so that they will all be hot and ready to be served at the same time.
- Quality Control. The Sous Chef is responsible for ensuring that food that leaves the kitchen is of the highest quality and will make diners happy. The Sous Chef will often be asked to ensure that portions are correct and the food is plated in an attractive manner and to addressing customer complaints and understanding their requirements is an important aspect of their job profile.
- Preparing reports to inform the ownership and upper management about the functioning of the company's financial outlook and any pertinent concerns.