Outreach Specialist, EOT
- $20.00 Hourly
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement
- Employer Fairly Likely to Respond
PURSUE YOUR PASSION, Not Just another Job!
Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for employees who are passionate about serving all veterans. Changing the life of a vet takes a whole lot of work. It also takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. But the rewards are out of this world! We work hard, but we also enjoy having fun together. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
We are looking for a dynamic individual to fill the role of Outreach Specialist, EOT. This position serves as an Outreach Specialist on the Enhanced Outreach Team (EOT). The EOT is a coordinated and collaborative outreach program that serves the most chronic and vulnerable unsheltered individuals. The EOT works in collaboration with several other homeless service agencies providing a standardized multidisciplinary outreach team model. Using a “do whatever it takes approach,” this position will provide persistent and frequent engagement aimed to develop trust and rapport with the people served. The EOT provides high intensity case management services with the goal of connecting individuals to services that will ultimately end their homeless episode and obtain permanent housing.
The Outreach Specialist will assist clients in breaking the cycle of homelessness by moving from the street to housing (interim, rapid re-housing and permanent housing), accessing necessary social services, and linking individuals to mainstream resources. Outreach Specialist will provide individualized client support throughout this entire journey by helping each client develop a plan to address their barriers, increase their income, and maintain and sustain permanent housing. As part of the plan, the Outreach Specialist will identify each area in which clients will need assistance to accomplish the outlined goals and objectives (i.e. scheduling appointments, applying for public benefits, identifying subsidized housing, etc.).
- Supportive Services- Coordinate intake and needs assessment for all clients and work with clients to develop Individualized Service Plans (ISP) that address barriers to obtain services/housing and/or perform a warm handoff to in-house case manager or another homeless service provider that will be the primary for case management services.
- Perform persistent and frequent outreach services, contacting homeless persons in all places where they congregate in the geographic areas covered under our contracts.
- Appropriately and professionally advocate for client’s needs. This includes mediating disputes between homeless persons and community members/neighborhood stakeholders.
- Provide supportive services in a non-judgmental manner.
- Drive the outreach vehicle and transport clients to appropriate services.
- Crisis intervention for individuals experiencing homelessness th in the community.
- Monitor and evaluate client’s progression through their Individual Service Plan (ISP), and develop modifications to the plan as necessary.
- Complete case notes and data entry into the Homeless Management Information System
- Become knowledgeable of all pertinent services in the community that meet the needs of the individuals served. Provide information, referrals, linkages, and advocacy to assist clients in accessing services and resources.
- Attend community meetings. Collaborate and communicate with internal departments and external partnering agencies.
- Assist clients with procuring necessary documents and services such as identification card, birth certificate, social security income, disability income. This includes attending appointments and other related meeting with clients.
- Identify appropriate permanent housing options for clients such as subsidized housing, Section 8, Shelter Plus Care, and VASH, as well permanent supportive housing, affordable and market rate housing, and other housing opportunities.
- Assist clients with housing applications, complete supportive and subsidized housing paperwork, survey rental market for affordable housing, and advocate for clients with prospective landlords.
- Outreach and Relationship Management -Outreach to community, business owners, realtors, landlords, housing developers and other service providers to identify new and existing opportunities and build strong relationships to better assist clients in accessing resources, employment, supportive services, and housing opportunities.
- Respond to community requests for street outreach intervention.
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree preferred or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Lived experience is preferred
- Computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office. Experience using a data entry system, and/or customer relations management (CRM) system, and/or electronic health record (EHR).
- Maintain professional demeanor.
- Able to work independently and as part the team.
- Exercises mature judgment and decision making.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Timeliness and regular attendance to work and meetings
- Must maintain and execute confidential information.
- Highly motivated self-starter and ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously in a high-pressure environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities.
- Good problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Employment Eligibility Verification.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Updated tuberculosis test.
- Successful completion of background screening.
- CPR/First Aid training
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
In the course of performing the job, this position typically spends time sitting, standing, climbing stairs, walking, driving, carrying (25lbs), and lifting (25lbs). Operating a computer keyboard, firm/strong grasping, and repetitive hand control. Makes and receives telephone calls. Use of general office equipment copier, fax machine and basic office equipment. Subjected to outside environmental conditions.