Director MENA Youth Social Innovation Campaign (MENA-based)
- $0.00 Annual Salary
- Employer Very Likely to Respond
Peace First is a global NGO igniting and supporting a youth-led movement of global innovators tackling everything from gender equity to climate change to mental health. We are looking for a trailblazer who will help us successfully build our base of supporters throughout the Middle East/North Africa – funders, corporate and media partners, influencers –as well as serve as help guide our strategy in the region. As the campaign leader, the ideal candidate harnesses their entrepreneurial spirit and is excited about fundraising in partnership with young people and managing the full vertical of activities – from strategy to relationship-building to campaign implementation to being part of a global team of social entrepreneurs. Our CEO is based in Boston, the team of 20 is scattered around the globe, and we are open to strong candidates based anywhere in the MENA region.
ABOUT PEACE FIRST
Peace First was founded at Harvard University upon a simple idea: if we are going to solve the world’s greatest problems, we must support this generation of young people with the skills and commitments to solve problems by connecting across lines of difference with compassion, standing up for ideals and others with courage, and creating collaborative change.
Currently, there are 1.6 billion young people, ages 13-25, around the world. They care deeply about what’s going on, they have boundless ideas on how to solve injustices and are ready to act yet seldom are they asked by adults what they think or, better yet, supported in bringing their ideas to life. Few have access to tools, mentors, and resources to turn their insights into reality. This is the divide we bridge.
Peace First provides a blended digital design platform where young people can imagine and create powerful innovations to solve real problems in the world. In addition to digital design tools, we provide mentors, connections with young people from over 130 countries, and small start-up grants that start at $250 and scale up to $25,000 as youth scale their work. All of this takes place on the Peace First digitl platform — the world’s largest marketplace for youth-led social change initiatives.
In order for us to achieve our long-term goal of supporting a movement of 2.5 million engaged, compassionate, and creative youth, Peace First is launching a $10 million Global Youth Investment Fund to provide the financial spark to support efforts for social change. It will be the single largest investment in youth social action...ever. As part of this raise we are exploring geography- or issue-based strategies, which we are calling Focus Funds. We plan to launch our first Focus Fund in MENA in early 2020.
A key element of our strategic plan is to build out our team of talented professionals. We actively recruit, retain, and develop a multicultural and dynamic workforce that effectively and efficiently meets the wide spectrum of young people's needs across the globe. We believe that an inclusive and open environment fosters creativity, contributes to the quality of our work, and provides growth opportunities for all employees.
To that end, we are seeking individuals who are excited about fostering this inclusive culture and working in an entrepreneurial environment where there is an immediate opportunity to have tangible impact on organizational direction and achievement. We are a team based around the world who thrive in an environment that embodies and celebrates the following:
- Possession of a deep belief in the ability of young people to create change and an interest in fundraising in partnership with young leaders
- Ability to adapt and apply skills to new and changing scopes of work
- Eagerness for more responsibility and exposure to new challenges
- Motivation to solve problems by taking initiative and trying new ways of doing things
- Enthusiasm for connecting others to our mission and providing them with powerful experiences
- Openness to working with others across diverse perspectives and backgrounds
OUR MENA VISION
Nowhere is the opportunity for youth-led social innovation greater than the Middle East and North Africa. Across the region, 65% of the population is under the age of 30. There are millions of young people in the region with ideas on how to solve their community’s most entrenched problems, but few have access to the opportunities to turn their passion into positive social impact. Together, with seed funding from the MiSK and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundations, Peace First seeks to change this. We have launched the region’s first youth social innovation campaign to unleash and elevate young people’s powerful vision for good and by doing so, not only make a tangible contribution to the lives of thousands of youth but help set the stage to bring their visions of this beautiful future to reality.
The MENA Youth Social Innovation Campaign invites young people (ages 13 – 25) from across the region to identify a critical issue in their community related to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals, and puts digital design tools, online mentors and small start-up funding, directly into their hands to imagine, create and implement powerful solutions. We will invite the most promising project teams to present at the inaugural Youth Social Innovation Summit where they will deepen their project’s impact potential, work with best-in-class mentors, and pitch their ideas to a room full of influencers. Throughout, we will track and report on impact as well as package and share powerful stories across the region and beyond – creating a new narrative of the region.
This pilot is just the beginning. In the long-term, we intend to be a major force for good by building trusting relationships with youth throughout the region. To do this, we need to partner with leading entrepreneurs, visionaries, and doers.
The Director will lead the successful implementation of the Peace First Campaign in the MENA region. We seek a leader with an entrepreneurial spirit who can build our initiative in the region while effectively integrating with the broader Peace First organization. The Director brings exceptional relationship building and superb project management skills. Key responsibilities include:
- Securing revenue – and nurturing and motivating these relationships for long-term meaningful engagement There could not be a better time for us to find and attract funders to join us - brands, corporations, foundations, philanthropists, NGOs, media – all of whom see what is happening today around youth leadership and want to act, play a role and support innovation in new ways. The Director will strategically identify and steward the right partners with a revenue target of $2M US over the next year through an existing pipeline of prospects, as well as new prospects.
- Overall campaign project management: This means holding the overall campaign vision, coordinating information within and across Peace First, making fast decisions, recognizing challenges before they become problems, and ensuring we deliver that we set out to do. This includes building and supporting a coalition of partners, including the MENA Advisory Council, to effectively execute the campaign strategy; developing and executing an annual Youth Social Innovation Summit; and serving as a hub of learning between Peace First and our partners
- Partnering with the rest of the organization: Beyond the specific work scope, the Director will be involved in the overall organizational strategy, helping further our mission across the globe, sharing learning, and contributing to projects. As a 27 year-old “start-up” we function as a lean and nimble team where each member contributes gifts wherever they are needed.
This position with work very closely with the MENA Advisory Council, comprised of recognized entrepreneurs and civic leaders from the business, entertainment, legal and communications and financial sectors who are deeply committed to supporting our work and leveraging their networks for funding and strategic partnerships. The Council is currently comprised of Anousheh Ansari, Chairperson of the Board of Peace First, Hisham El-Khazindar, Chadia El Meouchi, Hussein Hachem, Amin Magrabi, Saad Mouasher, and Karma Ekmekji.
This position will also work closely with our two Fellows-in-Residence in the region, a recently launched position that is part of a global Fellowship program to recruit talented young leaders (21 – 25) to grow and support our youth community.
Key Skills and Experience
We understand that there are many paths to acquiring experience and therefore welcome candidates from diverse and nontraditional backgrounds for this role who have demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to carry out the major duties outlined in this job description. For this role, we are looking for a thoughtful builder - someone who thrives in both building relationships and coalitions to scale impact. The successful candidate does not need to have experience working directly with youth, but they do need to be passionate about investing in young people as agents of change.
Strong candidates will be able to demonstrate they:
- Deep knowledge of and networks within the MENA region
- Have at least ten years of overall professional experience fundraising and building partnerships towards a common goal; ideally, at least five years in a senior role in an NGO or corporate context
- Can autonomously build mutually beneficial partnerships with diverse stakeholders, including those in the NGO, corporate, philanthropic and government sectors
- Have experience and understanding of fundraising in the region, including required permits
- Can be an effective spokesperson who can mobilize others to action
- Can excel within a start-up/entrepreneurial environment where priorities can quickly and necessarily change, including working remotely
- Leverage technology to strategically solve challenges
- Believe in and lives Peace First’s core values of courage, compassion, and collaboration Commit to contributing to an overall organizational culture that is inquisitive, youth centered, caring, and fun
- Written and spoken fluency in English and Arabic
- Candidates must be able to verify that they are authorized to accept the position
- Significant travel domestically, regionally and internationally (expenses covered by Peace First)
- Some requirement to work outside of standard office hours.
Since this is a new position we are open to a variety of models – full-time, part-time, partnerships, etc. – whatever will bring success. We expect to start with an initial three month contract as an opportunity for us both to get comfortable, extending to an on-going rolling contract (dependent on performance and success of the campaign).
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why the mission of Peace First resonates, your relevant track-record, and your vision for the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Peace First is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, age, ancestry, or disability.
For more information, please go to www.peacefirst.org.