All Day Cafe GM
- Depends on experience
After becoming a favorite of Alice Waters at the Berkeley Farmers’ Market in the late 1990s, pastry chef Elisabeth Prueitt and her husband, renowned baker Chad Robertson, officially moved into San Francisco to open their wildly successful Bakery in June 2002. Over 15 years later, you can still find the same line out the door and down Guerrero St. Elisabeth and Chad were jointly named Best Pastry Chef in America by the James Beard Foundation in 2008, and are both best-selling authors.
In 2016, Chad and Elisabeth opened the acclaimed restaurant and production space, Tartine Manufactory, also in the Mission District of San Francisco. Additionally, they have partnered with Chris Jordan, former CEO of Verve Coffee, to launch Coffee Manufactory and now source and roast their own coffee. In 2018 the Tartine footprint became international, expanding to South Korea with two new outposts in Seoul.
We have expanded to Los Angeles at The Row DTLA and partnered with acclaimed chef and pizzaiolo, Chris Bianco of Phoenix’s Pizzeria Bianco to open The Manufactory. The project occupies nearly 40,000 square feet and includes an all-day cafe, a bakery, a market, a dinner-only restaurant, a coffee lab and roastery.
Expanding on the Tartine classics, from country bread to our croissants and morning buns, our All-Day Cafes are bakery forward. Featuring an extensive bread, pastry and viennoiserie program, with an expanded savory offering of seasonal tartines, smorrebreads, salads, soups and more. Serving Coffee Manufactory beverages, and a curated beer and wine offering. A cafe, the Tartine Way.
TARTINE strives to make everything as simple and authentic as possible. Components of flavor and seasonality are considered in making our authentic pastry, cookies, tarts, cakes, confections and bread. Morning pastries don’t start coming out of the oven until soon after we open our doors for the day. Throughout the morning breakfast pastries are in constant motion: some are being formed, some are proofing, and some are baking; and at the same time the next days dough is being mixed. Pastries are baked in small batches to ensure the freshest items are enjoyed by our customers. The care are consideration we make in our food is also reflected in every facet of our operation – safety and sanitary practices, punctuality, empathy and communication with each other, with our guests, with our vendors and with our community – local, national and international.
AAP / EEO Statement:
TARTINE Manufactory is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care leave status, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or political ideology, as these terms are defined by state, federal and local law. TARTINE Manufactory also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.
To comply with applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, TARTINE Manufactory will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship would result. Any employee who requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job should contact their supervisor or Chad Robertson and request such an accommodation.
Finally, TARTINE Manufactory prohibits harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above. For information about the types of conduct that constitute impermissible harassment, and internal procedures for addressing complaints of harassment, please refer to the restaurant's policy against harassment.
Experienced GM, wanting to join a professional team, you know service, you know food, you know your P&L, you can handle controllable costs and boost sales. You are versatile and efficient. But your mood is even, your team is as important as your Guests. You have experience in openings. You have Hotel and/or Michelin experience. You want to grow.
Activities & Responsibilities
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of The Manufactory.
- Ensure that all restaurant policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines, and training programs and followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Monitor compliance with health and fire regulations regarding food preparation and serving, and building maintenance.
- Achieve company objectives in sales, service, quality, appearance of facility and sanitation and cleanliness through training of employees and creating a positive, productive working environment.
- Monitor food preparation methods, portion sizes, and garnishing and presentation of food to ensure that food is prepared and presented in an acceptable manner.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurant, employees, and guests.
- Control cash and other receipts by adhering to cash handling and reconciliation procedures in accordance with restaurant policies and procedures.
- Count money and make bank deposits.
- Investigate and resolve complaints regarding food quality, service, or accommodations.
- Coordinate assignments of cooking personnel to ensure economical use of food and timely preparation.
- Ensure that all products are received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Review financial statements, sales or activity reports, or other performance data to measure productivity or goal achievement or to identify areas needing cost reduction or program improvement.
- Schedule and receive food and beverage deliveries, checking delivery contents to verify product quality and quantity.
- Monitor budgets and payroll records, and review financial transactions to ensure that expenditures are authorized and budgeted.
- Maintain food and equipment inventories, and keep inventory records.
- Schedule staff hours and assign duties.
- Establish standards for personnel performance and customer service.
- Perform some food preparation or service tasks, such as cooking, clearing tables, and serving food and drinks when necessary.
- Plan menus and food utilization, based on anticipated number of guests, nutritional value, palatability, popularity, and costs.
- Keep records required by government agencies regarding sanitation or food subsidies.
- Test cooked food by tasting and smelling it to ensure palatability and flavor conformity.
- Organize and direct worker training programs, resolve personnel problems, make hiring and termination decisions, and evaluate employee performance.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel
- Administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Continually strive to develop staff in all areas of managerial and professional development.
- Order and purchase equipment and supplies.
- Review work procedures and operational problems to determine ways to improve service, performance, or safety.
- Assess staffing needs and recruit staff.
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and repairs, and coordinate a variety of services, such as waste removal and pest control.
- Record the number, type, and cost of items sold to determine which items may be unpopular or less profitable.
- Review menus and analyze recipes to determine labor and overhead costs, and assign prices to menu items.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offers suggestions for improvement.
- Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
- Fill-in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
***Other Duties Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Monitor employee and guest activities to ensure liquor regulations are obeyed.
- Schedule use of facilities or catering services for events such as banquets or receptions and negotiate details of arrangements with clients.
- Develop, plan, and implement restaurant marketing, advertising and promotional activities and campaigns.
- Estimate food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption to anticipate amounts to be purchased or requisitioned.
- Create specialty dishes and develop recipes to be used in dining facilities.
- Establish and enforce nutritional standards for dining establishments, based on accepted industry standards.
- Take dining reservations.
Tools & Technology (examples in parentheses)
- Cash registers
- Laser printers
- Notebook computers
- Personal computers
- Point-of-sale terminals and workstations
- Accounting software (Food Services Solutions DayCap; Intuit QuickBooks)
- Analytical or scientific software (Aurora FoodPro; ChefTec software; Food Software.com IPro Restaurant Inventory, Recipe & Menu Software; SweetWARE nutraCoster)
- Calendar and scheduling software (espSoftware Employee Schedule Partner; iMagic Restaurant Reservation)
- Communications server software (IBM Domino)
- Data base user interface and query software (ValuSoft MasterCook)
- Desktop publishing software (SoftCafe)
- Electronic mail software (Microsoft Outlook)
- Financial analysis software (Delphi)
- Graphics or photo imaging software
- Inventory management software (Food Service Solutions FoodCo; Gift Certificates Plus Giftworks)
- Office suite software (Microsoft Office)
- Point-of-sale software (Compris Advanced Manager's Workstation; Compris; Hospitality Control Solutions Aloha Point-of-Sale; ICVERIFY; Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale; MICROS Systems HSI Profits Series; NCR Advanced Checkout Solution; NCR NeighborhoodPOS; The General Store; ClubSoft Food & Beverage Point of Sale; DataTeam Lunch Express; Dinerware Intuitive Restaurant; Food Service Solutions POSitive ID System; Restaurant Manager)
- Presentation software (Microsoft PowerPoint)
- Project management software (ReServe Interactive Catering)
- Spreadsheet software (Microsoft Excel)
- Time accounting software (Aestiva Employee Time Clock)
- Word processing software (Microsoft Word)
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Three or more years of front-of-the-house operations and/or experience as an assistant manager in the service or food and beverage industry
- Able to understand and speak using the predominant language(s) of guests
- Excellent basic mathematical skills
- Able to handle money and operate a point-of-sale system
- Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 5 hours)
- Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- Stamina and availability to work 50 to 60 hours per week