Laser Optical Designer
- Depends on experience
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement
- Employer Very Likely to Respond
LSP Technologies, Inc. is the world leader in designing, developing, and implementing high-energy laser systems and processes in the area of Laser Shock Peening and Composite Laser Bond Inspection. Our development team conducts research and develops cutting edge technologies from concept through commercial product realization using high energy pulsed laser systems as applied to metal surface enhancement, peen forming of metals, and non-destructive testing of composite materials. We are seeking an Optical Design Engineer who will work collaboratively as part of our core technology team to develop next generation product solutions to meet customer and market needs.
Key Responsibilities of this role include:
- Analyze system and customer requirements to develop optical systems that deliver high energy pulsed lasers on target
- Collaborate with Mechanical and Electrical design engineers to develop innovative beam delivery solutions to meet customer needs
- Design and analyze laser systems (YAG, YLF, and Nd:Glass) and beam delivery systems to improve product performance
- Design and analyze diagnostic and predictive capabilities for laser systems
- Analyze fleet performance data to identify product improvement opportunities
- Develop innovative solutions to improve fiber optic delivery beam systems for high power pulse lasers
- Develop predictive energy transmission models for laser peening and laser bond inspection
- Create technical reports, drawings, and perform design review presentations
- Experience in the design and analysis of optical systems using optical design software packages such as Zemax, Code V, COMSOL, or similar
- Experience designing systems for propagation high energy pulsed lasers
- Ability to design relay imaging systems for laser beams
- Ability to design custom optical components to meet power density requirements
- Ability to model the propagation of a laser beam’s spatial profile within the laser and through the beam delivery using measured or calculated beam characteristics
- Detail understanding of high-power optical components such as gain media, polarizing elements, and Faraday isolators and how they impact beam propagation
- Excited to work in an intensely collaborative, agile product development team
- Ability to communicate detailed, complex technical information to non-technical people
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Optical Sciences, Physics, Physics engineering, or equivalent
- D. in Optical Sciences, Physics, Physics engineering, or equivalent is preferred
- Two (2) years of relevant work or research experience in the design, development, testing, and analysis of laser and optical systems
- Up to 10% international travel may be required
Our Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any other protected class.
Our Company is a fun and challenging place to work in a casual atmosphere. Come join the successful and growing company that pioneered the industry.
Smoke-free and drug-free environment.
Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience.
Competitive benefits package including medical, dental and 401k.
LSP TECHNOLOGIES IS ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GREAT PEOPLE TO JOIN OUR TEAM!
LSPT is an exciting place to work! Our company is a world leader in designing, developing, and implementing high-energy laser systems and processes. We offer a fun and challenging work environment with a casual atmosphere, flexible hours, and a family feel. LSPT is a small business that is growing rapidly. We value a strong culture promoting innovation and teamwork, and we expect all LSPT employees to be humble, hungry, and smart.
Humble: At LSPT you are part of a coordinated team delivering customer satisfaction and quality. Each team member plays a critical role in fulfilling our core objectives, and only by working together can we achieve our ambitious goals.
Hungry: LSPT is growing fast, and we need hungry individuals to take our organization to the next level. When we set our sights on a goal, we pursue it tenaciously and never let up until the job is done.
Smart: LSPT is a world leader in state-of-the-art laser processing solutions. We employ seasoned experts across our organization, and value innovative problem solving to keep our products and services on the cutting edge.
Would you like to be part of a pioneering organization? Are you humble, hungry, and smart? Visit our job listing page to view current openings and opportunities.