Laser Optical Engineer
- Depends on experience
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement
- Employer Very Likely to Respond
LSP Technologies, Inc. is the world leader in designing, developing, and implementing high-energy laser systems and processes in the area of Laser Shock Peening and Composite Laser Bond Inspection. Our development team conducts research and develops cutting edge technologies from concept through commercial product realization using high energy pulsed laser systems as applied to metal surface enhancement, peen forming of metals, and non-destructive testing of composite materials. We are seeking a Laser Optical Engineer who will work collaboratively as part of our core technology team to develop next generation product solutions to meet customer and market needs.
Key Responsibilities of this role include:
- Analyze system and customer requirements to develop optical systems that deliver high energy pulsed lasers on target
- Collaborate with Mechanical, Electrical, and Control design engineers to develop innovative beam delivery solutions to meet customer needs
- Design and analyze laser systems (Nd:YAG, Nd:YLF, and Nd:Glass) and beam delivery systems to improve product performance
- Design and analyze diagnostic and predictive capabilities for laser systems
- Analyze fleet performance data to identify product improvement opportunities
- Develop innovative solutions to improve fiber optic delivery beam systems for high power pulse lasers
- Develop predictive energy transmission models for laser peening and laser bond inspection
- Create and execute test plans to test the effectiveness of optical beam delivery designs for laser peening and laser bond inspection
- Create technical reports, drawings, and perform design review presentations
- Experience in the design and analysis of optical systems using optical design software packages such as Zemax, Code V, COMSOL, or similar
- Experience designing systems for propagation high energy pulsed lasers
- Ability to design laser beam optical assemblies for spatial homogenizing and shaping
- Ability to design custom optical components to meet power density requirements
- Ability to model the propagation of a laser beam’s spatial profile within the laser and through the beam delivery using measured or calculated beam characteristics
- Detailed understanding of high-power optical components such as gain media, polarizing elements, and Faraday isolators and how they impact beam propagation
- Excited to work in an intensely collaborative, agile product development team
- Ability to communicate detailed, complex technical information to non-technical people
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Experienced in Python, Matlab, or equivalent
- Experienced with Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor, or equivalent
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, Physics engineering, or equivalent
- PhD. in Optical Engineering, Physics, Physics engineering, or equivalent is preferred
- Two (2) years of relevant work or research experience in the design, development, testing, and analysis of laser and optical systems
- Up to 10% international travel may be required
Our Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any other protected class.
Our Company is a fun and challenging place to work in a casual atmosphere. Come join the successful and growing company that pioneered the industry.
Smoke-free and drug-free environment.
Compensation will be based on qualifications and experience.
Competitive benefits package including medical, dental and 401k.