- $16.00 Hourly
- Part Time / Full Time
- Employer Fairly Likely to Respond
We are currently looking for candidates for Sushi Chef. Urban Radish is a gourmet marketplace and eatery. We offer made-to-order sushi and poke bowls to our lunch customers as well as pre-packaged grab-and-go sushi samplers in our deli case for customers who patron our store throughout the evening. This position requires exceptional knife skills and specific know-how in the sourcing of sushi-grade fish, as well expertise in sushi preparation and plating.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Filleting fish, and preparing sushi and poke bowls to fill sushi case and customer orders
- Preparing basic and premium sushi rolls, and poke bowls
- Selecting fish purveyors and receiving of all sushi
- Managing inventory of sushi and other ingredients
- Maintaining the sushi station with respect to safety, hygiene and sanitation.
- Creating new dishes and assisting with menu creation
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We are currently envisioning a part-time schedule Mon-Fri. However, flexibility to work more hours is helpful as our sushi program gets built out and implemented The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Experience / Knowledge:
- Ability to take direction and provide direction when necessary.
- Ability to interact positively with the public.
- Knowledgeable in Asian and/or Japanese cuisine.
- Experienced with traditional sushi preparation and various forms (rolls, temaki, nigiri, sashimi, futomaki, etc), including choice of ingredients, design, and presentation.
- Expert knife skills
- Innovative and elegant presentation of dishes
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Knowledgeable in health department standards – food handlers permit required
Others Skills / Aptitude:
- Strong work ethic and stable work history
- Professional communication skills
- Ability to take direction as well as constructive criticism
- Highly organized with excellent follow up skills and extreme attention to detail
- Understanding of a "sense of urgency" attitude for the completion of responsibilities/tasks
- Ability to follow all kitchen safety requirements
- Dedicated and willing to go above and beyond
- Committed to long-term employment and professional development
Shift Information: Full and Part-Time shifts available. Must be able to work weekdays (morning or afternoon shift) and at least one weekend mornging shift
Compensation: $14-$16/hr. Contingent on experience
Urban Radish is a unique food market and eatery in the east side of Downtown Los Angeles in the Arts District. In addition to being a premium quality, full-range grocery store, we run a busy, high volume prepared foods, deli and restaurant operation. We are looking for candidates who have a passion for high quality, delicious food, and can thrive in a fast paced environment and bring experience and precision in sushi preparation. All candidates must have an exceptional personality, team spirit, professionalism and a hospitality driven attitude.