SSVF Housing Specialist
- $19.00 Hourly
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement
- Employer Fairly Likely to Respond
VVSD is seeking a highly motivated individual in the role of the SSVF Housing Specialist. The SSVF Housing Specialist is responsible for assisting individuals/families through identifying and obtaining affordable housing. As an integral part of the Housing Specialist's responsibilities, the Housing Specialist is required to create and maintain relationships with landlords who will work with SSVF clients. The Housing Specialist works collaboratively with the SSVF team and other VVSD Staff as is warranted as well as orienting eligible participants to the program and supportive services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively seeks new housing opportunities and resources to assist individuals/families in obtaining permanent housing
- Maintain an up-to-date Housing Directory which should include documentation of all contacts with housing providers and landlords.
- Conduct initial meeting with each individual/family who participate in the SSVF program.
- In collaboration with case managers, negotiate leases on behalf of clients
- Conduct unit inspection to ensure unit compliance
- Develop and facilitate trainings and workshops for clients and SSVF staff to include tenant rights, responsibilities, housing discrimination, and how to effectively communicate with landlords and others
- Provide housing availability, including Fair Market Rate rentals and other affordable, permanent housing opportunities, to SSVF team and clients in an efficient and timely manner.
- Regularly follow up with clients seeking housing to help support their housing options.
- Identify ways for clients to overcome housing barriers.
- Disseminate relevant housing information to clients and Case Manager in a timely fashion
- Regularly coordinate and communicate with SSVF Case Managers
- Maintain case documentation, using HMIS in accordance with agency and best standard practices.
- Maintain documentation of trainings, budgets, housing contacts, client contacts and other pertinent information in accordance with agency and best standard practices.
- Attend SSVF team and agency meetings as required
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Ability to develop appropriate strong working relationships with client population; be able to relate to individuals making significant life decisions, and be supportive of individuals' increasing independence.
- Must also be able to prepare written reports and maintain client documentation
- Knowledge of housing resources in San Diego is a plus
- Skills in landlord negation
- Knowledge of tenant rights and responsibility
- Able to negotiate leases
- Must be able to hold to high standards of confidentiality
- Knowledge of HMIS a plus
- Prior experience working with homeless population
- Ability to prioritize competing responsibilities and thrive in a challenging situations
- Able to change priorities at a moment’s notice
- Proficient skill level in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Privately owned vehicle, valid Driver's License with proof of current vehicle insurance
- Must be able to fluently read, write and communicate in English
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time
- Must be able to comfortably perform, both physically and mentally, all aspects of job description and other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Experience supporting programs serving homeless individuals/families and those diagnosed with physical or mental disabilities
- Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
VVSD offers the following benefits:
- Competitive Pay
- Generous vacation and sick time, as well as 12 Holidays; not to mention paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s.
- Health insurance, dental and vision plans, as well as participation in the 403(b) plan._
If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2 years.
Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status