- compensation depends on experience
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement, Employee Discounts
- Employer Likely to Respond
The right candidate for this position will be able to exhibit passion for excellence, service, and passion for supporting the team and making contributions to the success of the restaurant operation.
The Bar Back will be a crucial element to the success of the operation. This candidate assists the F&B Manager, Bartender and Servers with his/her responsibilities, which include maintaining stocks, changing kegs, collecting empty glasses, maintaining the premises clean, ensuring there is plenty of clean glassware, re-stocking ice, and as instructed by the F&B Manager. The ideal candidate also assists the team in upholding high standards of service and true hospitality as well as contributing to the "above and beyond" mentality. The Bar Back will work in the F&B operation within the Queen Kapiolani hotel premises, mainly at the Deck.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Under the guidance of the F&B Manager, as well as the Bartender or Server, prepare the bar and restaurant (including pool area) to PDS specifications, upholding high standards, impeccable service and delivering a unique above and beyond mentality.
- Ensure service style and standards are met and guest expectations as exceeded.
- Responsible for keeping bartenders supplied with ice, mixers, liquor, cold beer, cold beverages, as well as clean glassware, especially during peak hours.
- Maintain the walk-in fridge and liquor shelves clean and organized.
- Unbox delivered liquors, help count liquors, and store into their designated places.
- Assist in an accurate inventory count.
- Assist the Bar Prep or take over the Bar Prep tasks when no one is available.
- Assist in identifying guest needs and immediately inform the Bartender or Server overseeing the guest(s).
- Assist in monitoring guests and internal feedback and immediately inform the Bartender or Server overseeing the guest(s).
- Be attentive and informed of everything related to the bar and beverages, such as daily specials and out of stock items.
- Be prepared and willing to assist guests’ when the Bartender or the Server is unavailable.
- Be available and willing to take instructions for Bartenders and Servers.
- Be informed of any special event layout and prepare the bar as instructed by the F&B Manager, Event Sales Manager and or Bartender.
- Perform preparations along with other staffs, especially where help may be needed.
- Assure beverages are being served in a timely manner.
- Assist the Bartender and Server to ensure payments are processed.
- Continually thrive for a better understanding and education on PDS (Deck and Knots) offerings, be they liquor, other beverage or food.
- Check the tasks expected from you, time to time, and suggest updates or organization.
- Follow sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance of the bar.
- Comply with health, safety, and sanitation regulations, and alcohol awareness standards.
- Ensure compliance with operational standards, rules, company policies, procedures, federal/state/local laws, and ordinances.
- Cooperate and work with the service and culinary team.
- Manage and execute operational service.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Other duties may be assigned
*Job description may be changed at any time
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar position.
- Must be able to speak, hear, understand, read, and write the English language.
- High school diploma.
- Hawaii Food Handler Card.
- General knowledge of wine, spirits, and liquors and their proper service.
- Experience as Bar Back in upper-casual/fine dining restaurant or luxury resort/hotel.
- Excellent communication skills (verbally interacts with management, team members and guests.)
- Must be capable of team work; contributing and supporting the restaurant.
- Must have a strong customer service aptitude.
- Ability to work well in stressful, high-pressure situations in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Ability to implement and uphold service standards.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments.
- Conflict resolution sensibility, both with staff and guests.
- Willingness to learn, especially information that may not be F&B related.
- Ability to speak and hear, vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Constant walking, sitting, and standing.
- Be able to work in a standing position for extensive periods of time.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop
- Frequently lift up to 35 pounds.
- The noise level in the work environment usually is loud.
- The employee may be exposed to the risks associated in attempting to resolve issues with difficult guests.
- Work flexible hours that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, nights and/or holidays.