Shelter Outreach Specialist
- Depends on experience
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement
- Employer Fairly Likely to Respond
Our Outreach Specialist will provide street outreach to homeless veterans throughout the city of San Diego. This individual will create, implement and promote community awareness and education of the Homeless Veteran Shelter Program. You’ll build positive awareness of a variety of professional level community resources to help Veterans access needed services. Our Outreach Specialist will build and maintain an extensive network of providers in and out of the military community, to be used for referrals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide crisis intervention and guidance to homeless veterans as appropriate.
- Make contact with homeless veterans daily by researching and resourcing target areas where homeless individuals are living or congregating. Track locations and services provided to improve services and identify patterns and trends.
- Assist Veterans experiencing homelessness access to a bed in the veteran shelter and/or make referrals, as appropriate.
- Assist with planning, developing and providing community-based outreach to identify and engage with homeless veterans.
- Advocate for clients within the community as well as internally in order to ensure that client’s needs are being recognized, represented and addressed.
- Develop and maintains positive working relationships with agency staff and community contacts such as referral sources and service providers.
- Respect and value all people experiencing homelessness, regardless of circumstances, behavior or needs.
- Prepare documentation of plans and activities to ensure compliance with contracts and agency requirements.
- Refer clients, as appropriate to their individual needs, to outside resources (e.g. medical, dental, mental health, legal social services, veterans’ benefits, etc.)
- Interface with other staff as appropriate regarding client needs and progress.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Basic understanding of the military and/or the Veterans Administration.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work in and promote teamwork.
- Ability to work professionally, cohesively, and collaboratively with staff, partners and with organizations serving the homeless community.
- Ability to work flexible and sometimes unpredictable hours to include weekends.
- Organized, detail-oriented and able to time manage.
- Reliable transportation.
- Prior experience working with homeless population.
- Fluently read, write, and communicate in English.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, and within a diverse population.
- Ability to perform all aspects of the job description both mentally and physically, as well as other duties as assigned by your supervisor.