- $16.00 Hourly
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement, Ask Us!, Meal Plan / Free Food, Employee Discounts
- Employer Fairly Likely to Respond
Located in Washington DC at the Eaton Hotel, American Son seeks to epitomize what modern-day American cuisine genuinely is: a melting pot of many different cultures that breaks down the barrier between “American” and “new American” defined fare, with a heightened focus on vegetables.
For this 150 seat restaurant, Plan Do See has tapped local Chef Tim Ma to collaborate and develop the menu. American Son seeks to epitomize what modern-day American cuisine genuinely is: a melting pot of many different cultures that breaks down the barrier between “American” and “new American” defined fare, with a heightened focus on vegetables. Kyirisan, owned by Chef Tim Ma, opened in March, 2016. It earned a nod on the inaugural Michelin Bib Gourmand list, was named one of the Washington Post's Best Restaurants in the Fall Dining Guide, and listed in Washingtonian Magazine's 100 Very Best Restaurants. It has been written about in Food & Wine, The New York Times, and Vogue.
A Cook will provide chefs the timely and quality preparation of foods using a variety of equipment and utensils in an effort to continuously operate a highly regarded restaurant on a local and national level. He/She will also maintain the cooking environment clean and safe for all staff members and flexibly takes on various culinary tasks as they arise. The Cook will receive instruction/guidance from culinary management.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Comply with Standards of Service and assist in ensuring the same from all kitchen employees.
- To follow all specifications to properly and efficiently cook all food items in high quality, taste, presentation, including accommodation special guest requests, within specified time limits.
- Demonstrate advanced culinary technical skills required in food preparation and use of kitchen equipment for a four-star fine dining restaurant.
- Responsible for checking and maintaining proper temperatures throughout preparation, cooling, holding and serving of food items including adjusting thermostat controls to regulate temperatures.
- Observes and tests food being cooked by tasting, smelling and piercing with cooking utensil to determine that food is cooked properly, according to specifications
- Responsible for final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items
- Cleans, organizes, and maintains refrigerator, cooler drawers, prep, and dry storage area.
- Rotates product according to “First In, First Out” to maintain shelf-life standards.
- Inform the Executive Sous Chef of supplies that need to be requisitioned.
- Inform the Executive Sous Chef of any foreseeable shortages before items run out
- To stock/restock and supply storage areas as needed, to accommodate business needs.
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food cost.
- Maintain effective working relationship with food and beverage management, staff and all departments.
- To follow all company/kitchen safety rules, policies, and procedures.
- Strict adherence to health department and food handling guidelines
- Immediately report all suspicious occurrence and hazardous conditions.
- Present a professional appearance and in uniform at all times.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Job description may be changed at any time.
- Cold line: Minimum of 1 years of experience as prep cook or a combination of education and work experience or a combination of education and work experience.
- Hot/Saute line: Minimum of 1 years of experience as a line cook or a combination of education and work experience or a combination of education and work experience.
- Previously worked with multi-unit operations from fine dining to casual(Preferred)
- 4 or 5 star background, knowledge and ability to implement such standards (Preferred).
- Food Handlers permit.
- Must be able to speak, read and understand basic cooking directions in English.
- Knowledge of kitchen operations and production.
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
- Possess excellent knife skills and be able to operate basic kitchen equipment.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Customer service orientation and commitment to quality service.
- Have problem solving abilities, be self-motivated and organized.
- Ability to speak and hear, vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Constant standing and walking.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 50 pounds.
- Continual use of manual dexterity and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills
- Regularly required to use hands and frequent washing of hands.
- Generally, in an indoor setting.
- Will be using a computer occasionally.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays and extended hours as business dictates.
- Frequently exposed to heat/cold from the mechanical equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Work flexible hours that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, nights and/or holidays.
ABOUT PLAN DO SEE AMERICA
Plan Do See is a global hospitality company with a core business in hotels, restaurants & bars, wedding & events, and consulting. Plan Do See’s headquarters are located in Tokyo and New York. Their mission is to create hospitality destinations around the world that offer memorable experiences and together build a lasting, positive relationship with our guests, partners, employees and communities. Plan Do See has been honored with a top 3 spot on the list of The Best Workplaces in Japan recognized for its dedication to sustain high-trust cultures for their employees.