- $16.00 Hourly
- Full Time
After becoming a favorite of Alice Waters at the Berkeley Farmers’ Market in the late 1990s, pastry chef Elisabeth Prueitt and her husband, renowned baker Chad Robertson, officially moved into San Francisco to open their wildly successful Bakery in June 2002. Over 15 years later, you can still find the same line out the door and down Guerrero St. Elisabeth and Chad were jointly named Best Pastry Chef in America by the James Beard Foundation in 2008, and are both best-selling authors.
In 2016, Chad and Elisabeth opened the acclaimed restaurant and production space, Tartine Manufactory, also in the Mission District of San Francisco. Additionally, they have partnered with Chris Jordan, former CEO of Verve Coffee, to launch Coffee Manufactory and now source and roast their own coffee. In 2018 the Tartine footprint became international, expanding to South Korea with two new outposts in Seoul.
We have expanded to Los Angeles at The Row DTLA and partnered with acclaimed chef and pizzaiolo, Chris Bianco of Phoenix’s Pizzeria Bianco to open The Manufactory. The project occupies nearly 40,000 square feet and includes an all-day cafe, a bakery, a market, a dinner-only restaurant, a coffee lab and roastery.
TARTINE strives to make everything as simple and authentic as possible. Components of flavor and seasonality are considered in making our authentic pastry, cookies, tarts, cakes, confections and bread. Morning pastries don’t start coming out of the oven until soon after we open our doors for the day. Throughout the morning breakfast pastries are in constant motion: some are being formed, some are proofing, and some are baking; and at the same time the next day’s dough is being mixed. Pastries are baked in small batches to ensure the freshest items are enjoyed by our customers. The care and consideration we make in our food is also reflected in every facet of our operation – safety and sanitary practices, punctuality, empathy and communication with each other, with our guests, with our vendors and with our community – local, national and international.
AAP / EEO Statement:
The Manufactory is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care leave status, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or political ideology, as these terms are defined by state, federal and local law. The Manufactory also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.
To comply with applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, The Manufactory will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship would result. Any employee who requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job should contact their supervisor or Chad Robertson and request such an accommodation.
Finally, The Manufactory prohibits harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above. For information about the types of conduct that constitute impermissible harassment and internal procedures for addressing complaints of harassment, please refer to the restaurant's policy against harassment.
Ensure basic cleaning jobs are carried out as quickly as possible. Collect and wash up pots and pans. Clean food preparation areas and equipment, in addition to crockery and cutlery. Unload food and equipment deliveries. Keep the storeroom organized. Keep work surfaces, walls and floors clean and sanitized.
Activities & Responsibilities
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of THE MANUFACTORY
- Wash crockery and utensils
- Daily clean of kitchen areas
- Deep clean of kitchen equipment
- Keep stores areas neat and tidy
- Keep refrigeration and freezers organized
- Report failing equipment to Supervisor
- Report Health and Safety hazards to Supervisor
- Communicate effectively with staff
- Contribute to stock taking as required
- Provide Porter support with deliveries
- Provide Porter support in all areas controlled by The Manufactory
- Accept training to enable safe completion of duties
- Carry out other duties as may reasonably be required from time to time.
***Other DutiesPlease note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Awareness of hygiene systems
- Awareness of plate washing systems
- Knowledge of stock rotation
- Knowledge of hazard awareness
***Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, performing and coordinating a variety of duties and tasks for the restaurant.
- At least 1 year in a similar position working with chemical cleaning products, deep cleaning of equipment
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Food hygiene certificate
- Manual handling training
- Health and safety awareness
- Able to understand and speak using the predominant language(s) of guests
- Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 5 hours)
- Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- Stamina and availability to work 50 to 60 hours per week