Principal Substance Abuse Counselor (Log Cabin Ranch)
- $21.34 - $21.98 Hourly
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance
PRINCIPAL SUBSTANCE USE COUNSELOR
SUBSTANCE USE OUTPATIENT TREATMENT PROGRAM
Horizons Unlimited of San Francisco, Inc. (Horizons), established in 1965, is a community-based organization located in the Mission District, and offers substance use prevention, treatment, employment, mental health and gender specific services, for Latino and other youth of color, ages 12 to 26, and their families, residing in the Mission District and the city and county of San Francisco.
Program Summary: The Substance Use Outpatient Treatment Program (OP) provides culturally-rooted services that address the needs of youth in our community through individual, group, and family counseling, case management, collateral, and other healing-focused strategies such as art and music therapy, medicinal drumming, etc. Services are provided onsite, in the community, at participating schools, and more recently at Juvenile Hall.
Position Summary: This position will primarily be at Juvenile Justice Center in San Francisco, CA; with a minimum of weekly presence onsite for clinical meetings and supervision, collaboration with other Agency programs, integration into Agency culture, partnership development, etc.
Tentative Schedule: M-F 10-6:30PM. This position may also include weekends/evenings, as needed, to participate in special events and meet programmatic needs.
Position Title: Senior Substance Use Counselor (1.0FTE, full-time)
Reports to: Program Director. Treatment and Gender-Specific Programming
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide culturally and linguistically competent Substance Use Outpatient Treatment Services to probation involved youth.
- Conduct client intakes, screening, and assessments.
- Develop strength-based Plans of Care for each client and consistently monitor progress.
- Conduct individual and group counseling, including Seeking Safety.
- Document and maintain up-to-date and accurate client files, progress notes, and Plans of Care while ensuring confidentiality, according to clinical procedures.
- Provide case management services that include communicating regularly with probation officers, courts, social worker, family members and other caregivers, regarding client’s treatment progress, etc., when appropriate.
- Act as an advocate for clients and families to ensure service delivery.
- Accumulate knowledge of, and coordinate services with other providers, when appropriate.
- Coordinate services with other onsite and external providers for transition/re-entry planning.
- At Juvenile Justice attend Case Review Team meetings (every 1st, 3rd, and 4th Wednesday of the month); every 2nd Wednesday of the month participates in Juvenile Collaboration Re-entry Unit meetings. Dates and times are subject to change.
- Attend Encuentro Clinical meetings at Horizons Unlimited every Tuesday from 1pm-2:30 pm and attend All-Staff meeting every 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month from 12-2pm.
- Other duties as assigned by Juvenile Justice Supervisor and Horizons’ Program Director.
- BA in Social Work or related field and/or a minimum of 3 years working with in-risk youth and their families providing culturally competent treatment services.
- Must be a State Certified Counselor having attained CCAPP credentialing; and/or working towards certification in substance abuse treatment.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
- Knowledge in Motivational Interviewing, Stages of Change, Motivational Enhancement Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, MET/CBT 5, and Seeking Safety treatment model.
- Knowledgeable of clinical treatment, healing arts, intervention techniques, and approaches to youth development.
- Experience working with youth within the juvenile justice system, youth with disabilities, youth with co-occurring disorders, and/or gang-affiliated, etc.
- Able to maintain confidential, accurate, and complete records including documentation of daily encounters; progress notes; weekly and monthly reports, etc.
- Must be a self-starter and able to organize/coordinate services/workflow in a flexible setting.
- Excellent organizational, communication, written, and verbal skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and willing to be flexible (that may include working evenings, weekends, before and after hours).
- If in recovery, must be clean and sober for at least two continuous years.
- Must be able to pass a background check and clear a TB test before first day of employment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to operate the agency van.
- Knowledge and ability to use Avatar system for all documentation.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, permanent position after successful completion of a 6-month probation period. Eligible for benefits (medical, dental, vision plan, accidental life and AD&D insurance) on the 1st of the month following 1 full month of continuous employment. Other benefits include paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. The hourly wage ranges from $21.34-$21.98.
Date Posted: Application Deadline:
March 2019 Open Until Filled
Submit cover letter and resume, via email, to: Shirley Maciel, Program Director:
Horizons Unlimited of San Francisco, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, culture, age, disability, gender, or sexual orientation. Women and People Of Color Are Encouraged To Apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.