- $16.00 - $16.50 Hourly
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401K / Retirement
- Employer Fairly Likely to Respond
Are you looking for a rewarding and challenging career? Are you looking to make a difference in the world while putting your skills and training to work? Veterans Village of San Diego is looking for an Lead Cook to for our kitchen staff. The Lead Cook is responsible for planning, preparing, and serving meals for residents and staff. In addition, this position directs residents, community service workers, and volunteers in performing duties in the kitchen and dining areas, while maintaining a clean, safe and sanitary condition in the kitchen and dining areas. Also performs regular preventative maintenance on kitchen and dining area equipment.
If you’re someone who has is positive, adaptable and intuitive, and has a genuine interest in the well-being of others around you, and are passionate about promoting VVSD’s mission, this is the position for you! Working with our veterans takes dedication and commitment to our motto: Leave No One Behind. If you wish to be a part of this team and are ready to work for a cause, not just a paycheck, then VVSD is the place to start!
- Responsible for training and mentoring line and prep cooks.
- Plans and prepares meals for residents and staff.
- Prepares the prep list for the day.
- Prepares late meals and sack lunches for residents off site as scheduled.
- Follows recipes as given.
- Ability to work multiple stations.
- Flexible with availability.
- Directs residents, community service workers, and volunteers performing duties in the kitchen and dining areas.
- Receives food and kitchen supplies from venders properly storing and labeling supplies.
- Inventories and checks invoices against food and kitchen supplies delivered, and reports discrepancies to the Food Service Manager.
- Maintains inventory of all food and kitchen supplies.
- Organization and labeling of all dry, cooler, and freezer storage areas.
- Supervises residents/staff in keeping condition in kitchen clean, safe and sanitary conditions in
- Continuously inspects kitchen and dining areas for safety hazards and takes corrective measures immediately as needed, or reports needed repairs to facilities
- Supervises cleaning of kitchen and dining area to maintain healthy and sanitary environment and ensures that all dishes, silverware, and other equipment are kept clean and sanitary.
- Supervises stripping and cleaning of juice machine, coffee machine, and other food preparation and dispensing equipment in kitchen and dining area daily.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintains timeliness while keeping busy.
- Minimum of 3 years paid experience as line or short order cook.
- Possess professional food handler’s card.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and have clean DMV record.
- Must be able to fluently read, write and communicate in English.
- Great customer service skills.
- Ability to treat residents with respect and civility.
- Ability to work well with a diverse population.
- Comfortably able to perform all aspects of job.
- Make fast and smart decisions that directly impact profitability of the kitchen
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods, bend, stoop, reach, kneel, • stand, stoop, crouch, climb and squat.
- Comfortably physically able to perform all aspects of the job.
• If you were a client of VVSD, you must have been out of all programs for a minimum of 2 years.
• Veterans Village of San Diego is an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status