PrincipalSubstance Use Counselor (Roadmap to Peace)
- $21.34 - $21.98 Hourly
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental Insurance
PRINCIPAL SUBSTANCE USE COUNSELOR
ROADMAP TO PEACE INITIATIVE
Full-time, 40 hours per week
Horizons Unlimited of San Francisco, Inc., established in 1965, is a youth development and empowerment organization and offers substance use prevention, substance use and mental health treatment, employment, entrepreneurial, and after school services, for Latino and other youth of color, ages 12 to 26, residing in the Mission District and the city and county of San Francisco.
Position Description: The Roadmap To Peace (RTP) initiative is a five-year plan to advance economic, health and safety outcomes for Latino/a identified, disconnected youth ages 13-24, who are in-risk and/or violence involved. The RTP initiative has three interrelated strategies: service network, community building and policy reform. Under the direction and supervision of the Program Director, Treatment and Gender-Specific programs, the Substance Use Counselor will provide outreach and engagement to the target population, as well as individual, group, and family substance use counseling. Services are provided on demand and in collaboration with RTP partner agencies.
Position Title: Senior Substance Use Counselor
Reports to: Program Director, Treatment and Gender-Specific Programs
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement an outreach plan and corresponding activities for the purpose of engaging youth in programming.
- Network with other agency and school staff, probation/parole officers, etc., to raise awareness of the RTP initiative and services, and facilitate referrals.
- Identify potential clients within Horizons’ current programming for participation in RTP services.
- Work collaboratively with agency staff to increase knowledge and participation in RTP services and initiatives, and support the facilitation of, and increase in, referrals and program support.
- Educate RTP clients on resources available to them through the RTP network.
- Conduct client intakes, screening, and assessments to determine needs, strengths, supports, etc.
- Develop strength-based Treatment Plans of Care for each client and consistently monitor progress.
- Conduct individual, group, and family counseling, including follow-up.
- Document and maintain up to date client files while ensuring confidentiality, according to clinical procedures.
- Attend weekly interdisciplinary clinical meetings with clinical staff.
- Act as an advocate for clients and families to ensure quality and responsive service delivery.
- Attend bi-weekly care management meetings with RTP partner agencies.
- Participate in monthly RTP Service Network meetings.
- Develop and facilitate workshops, as required.
- Prepare written, monthly reports and collect data on client outcomes.
- Track client services and enter them into the CMS system on a daily basis, and within 24-48 of service provision.
- Provide coordination support to achieve the mission and objectives of the Roadmap to Peace (RTP) and Horizons’ Outpatient Program.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Program, Clinical, and Executive Director.
- BA in Social Work or related field and a minimum of 5 years working with at risk youth and their families.
- Must be a State Certified Counselor having attained CAADE’s Certified Addictions Treatment Counselor credential (CATC) or equivalent organization.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) required.
- Knowledgeable of youth services in San Francisco from which clients can benefit.
- Experience working with Latino youth and their families, youth within the juvenile justice system, youth with disabilities, youth with co-occurring disorders, and/or gang-affiliated, etc.
- Knowledgeable of clinical treatment, healing arts, intervention techniques, and approaches to youth development.
- Knowledgeable about youth development and empowerment principles, prevention strategies, best practices in serving high risk youth, behavior modification, harm reduction, etc.
- Ability to meet deadlines and juggle multiple competing deadlines/tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Able to maintain confidential, accurate, and complete records including documentation of daily encounters; progress notes; weekly and monthly reports, etc.
- Excellent organizational, communication, written, and verbal skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and maintain a flexible schedule (evenings/weekends as needed).
- If in recovery, must be clean and sober for at least two continuous years.
- Must be able to complete a background check and clear a TB test before first day of employment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to operate the agency van.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time, permanent position after successful completion of 6-months probation. Eligibility for benefits (medical, dental, vision, and life) begins 30 days after start date. The hourly rate for the position is $21.34 during probationary period (first 6 months). Contingent upon passing probation, hourly rate will increase to $21.98 per hour.
Open Until Filled.
Submit cover letter and resume, via email, to: Shirley Maciel, Program Director
Horizons Unlimited of San Francisco, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, culture, age, disability, gender, or sexual orientation.
Women and People Of Color Are Encouraged To Apply.