Full Time Tasting Room Host
- Depends on experience
- Full Time
Brave & Maiden Estate (BME) has a simple mission: to craft extraordinary wines and share them with unforgettable hospitality. And we are committed to building a team to make that vision a reality.
Led by Paul Hobbs and Josh Klapper, our winemaking is hitting its stride, being awarded with critical acclaims and growing distribution. And upon the opening of our new winery and tasting room this Summer of 2018 (designed by the renowned Backen Gillam & Kroeger Architects), we intend to offer elevated, unconventional, and unforgettable hospitality to our guests.
About the Position
The ideal candidates for our full-time tasting room roles will execute the day-to-day operations of the tasting room and ensure the delivery of a seamless customer experience. In the tasting room s/he takes responsibility for designing and hosting unforgettable experiences that leave lasting impressions on guests and ultimately builds relationships between them and the brand. S/he is responsible for helping increase direct-to-consumer (DTC) sales and grow the young brand. S/he executes the programs that have been set in place to successfully fulfill our mission and business objectives. S/he thrives in a startup environment where risks are encouraged, responsibilities are varied, and everyone works hard to build something special.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tasting Room Operations: helps with tasting room floor operations which include but are not limited to: maintaining housekeeping standards (ensuring the safety, productivity, and on-brand aesthetic for all visitors), conducting opening and closing procedures including cash handling, and overseeing tasting menus and collateral.
- Hospitality: helps set a new bar for regional hospitality; thinks creatively and unconventionally to deliver unforgettable experiences for guests and helps creates BME fans. Creates and conducts daily tasting programs, VIP experiences & events.
- DTC Sales: achieves retail and profitability goals through Wine Club Membership sign-ups, tasting room sales, events and data collection.
- Outreach: engages in networking efforts that help build tasting room traffic. Leads BME’s social media campaign to help promote and advertise the winery.
- Accounting/Inventory: submits reports and accounting documents when needed, and helps manage and assist with both daily and month-end inventory.
The requirements listed below are a sampling of the knowledge, skills, and abilities we’re looking for. They are by no means exhaustive and the successful candidate will undoubtedly bring many more qualities to the table.
- You know your stuff. While a deep level of knowledge about wine is not required, it is preferred.
- You are driven to meet goals and see results.
- You have an inherent ability to read a guest and connect with them, improvising the guest’s experience based on the their personality and interests.
- You see the good in people. You are team-oriented. You enjoy working collaboratively.
- You see value in feedback. You offer and seek out suggestions for improvement.
- You are a go-getter. You look for ways to contribute rather than waiting to be assigned specific tasks.
- You have strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- You are a process person. You are organized and you know how to prioritize work.
- You are creative and resourceful. You feel comfortable with the idea of creating and executing new/unique hospitality experiences.
- You’re a consummate host. You genuinely enjoy entertaining others and ensuring your guests enjoy themselves. You have proven experience hosting hospitable and memorable guest experiences for luxury consumers.
- You’ve made money for a business. You have a proven record of driving sales, regardless of the product.
- You’re reliable and able to to work a flexible schedule as needed, including weekends and holidays.
- You’re a good neighbor. You represent BME in the local wine and tourism industry, to our immediate neighborhood, and to the greater Santa Ynez community.
- ...and the catchall “other duties as assigned.” We’re a startup, after all—this role will evolve with the company and the individual over time. We are looking for someone that always wants more responsibility and personal growth.
- 2+ years wine retail related experience or similar experience in another role in the hospitality industry
- POS skills
- Experience building and engaging a customer base via social media
Following are a few physical requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions and key responsibilities of this position.
- The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner at all times.
- Frequent operation of computer and other office equipment
- The ability to stand for long periods of time, but also sit at a workstation, walk, climb stairs, bend, lift, twist, pull, push, carry, grasp, reach and stoop as need, and lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
How to Apply
Apply with a resume and cover letter by May 31, 2018. In your cover letter, instead of recounting your resume:
- Tell us why you want to work for Brave & Maiden Estate.
- Tell us on which job platform you found us, or how were you referred to us.
- Describe what you think a day as a full-time host at Brave & Maiden would look like for you?
Salary is commensurate with experience but, with a generous benefits package, will be highly competitive.